Report - newhaven

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Report - newhaven

Post by scott__henning » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Went down to western port for the first time ever as the weather looked good yesterday. I was hoping to find some squid as I had heard there are plenty about.

After 4 jigs met their final resting place, we gave up on the squid and went for some whiting on the flats, which produced nicely with a dozen whiting over 35 between us and some nice leatherjackets.

The weather was so good we went for a cruise right up to the top end in hopes of a snapper or gummy but we had to face the long drive back with no bites.

All in all a nice day on the water and i'm keen to give western port another crack when the new boat arrives! (11 weeks away cant come quick enough!)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Report - newhaven

Post by DougieK » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Bad luck on the jigs, great job on the whiting!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:32 pm

I take it you were fishing for squid in cleeland bight just up from san remo. If you launched at newhaven then cruised up to the warneet end its a long way. I am not a fan of the newhaven ramp at low tide there are to many rocks to ding your prop I usually launch at rhyll.

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:10 pm

[quote="Nude up"]I take it you were fishing for squid in cleeland bight just up from san remo. If you launched at newhaven then cruised up to the warneet end its a long way. I am not a fan of the newhaven ramp at low tide there are to many rocks to ding your prop I usually launch at rhyll.[/qut

to right when are up that way at out holiday house we launch at rhyll the only bad thing is everythime I been their I see the same very large black ray the hangs just under the cleaning table.
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:06 pm

Two of my mates have houses in cowes I fish down that way a fair bit. Both my mates are members of the rhyll angling club . The only problem with the ramp at rhyll is the lack of mooring available during busy periods we often when we have our boats back on the trailers watch other people retrieving their boats high winds high current =laugh a minute.
The smooth stingrays are very well fed and a great attraction non anglers are always amazed at their size.the big news for cowes is the boat ramp apparently it is being redeveloped with a rock groyne around it and floating jetties

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Nude up wrote:Two of my mates have houses in cowes I fish down that way a fair bit. Both my mates are members of the rhyll angling club . The only problem with the ramp at rhyll is the lack of mooring available during busy periods we often when we have our boats back on the trailers watch other people retrieving their boats high winds high current =laugh a minute.
The smooth stingrays are very well fed and a great attraction non anglers are always amazed at their size.the big news for cowes is the boat ramp apparently it is being redeveloped with a rock groyne around it and floating jetties
that is good news our place is in cowes less or a drive in the morning
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:20 pm

It will mean less of a run to get outside the western entrance will probably save 20 litres of fuel.

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:12 am

Nude up wrote:I take it you were fishing for squid in cleeland bight just up from san remo. If you launched at newhaven then cruised up to the warneet end its a long way. I am not a fan of the newhaven ramp at low tide there are to many rocks to ding your prop I usually launch at rhyll.
not entirely sure on the geography, but I was told to try for squid down near the entrance opposite the sand dunes. if anyone wants some free jigz thats where to look haha

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”