WP - Snapper Hunt 5/9

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

WP - Snapper Hunt 5/9

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:57 pm

A week or so since I headed out but better late than never right???

It's been awhile since I've been on a proper snapper hunt..... 3 years or so to be exact (just so happens that I have 2 kids 3 years and under) so I have been hanging to get back into it and give it a real crack. Last season I had a couple of ad hock attempts in PPB on the late May run snapper but no luck there.

Anyway, after chewing the fat with FV resident legend Sammy T for awhile now we put some collective thoughts together and developed a plan for fishing the upcoming week.

We were just coming of some higher temperate days with little rain so the water temp was going to be on the rise along with large tides and a stabilised barometer before it was going to plummet. All of that pointed towards a good chance of an early season WP snapper.

Running solo I left the house at 3am, picked up a coffee and hash brown on the way and was launched and on the water just after 4am. The plan was to sound up some selected areas and fish any good marks or alternatively set up on a point we thought would fire on the outgoing tide.

I wanted to be set for the tide change at 5.5am0 so with no strong marks showing on the sounder I set the pick and got ready to wait it out.

I had some frozen cala hoods from a few weeks before along with some pillies and whiting that got me started.

My first theory of capture was to burleigh hard whilst the tide was weak..... which I did. This resulted in 0 bites over the space of about an hour. Not a good start to the day but being the only boat on the water in what was a ripper of a morning was a pretty good 2nd prize.
IMG_1324.jpg

Ideally I wanted some fresh bait but throwing slugs around the boat proved to be a poor way of catching it. Fortunately I turned to the sounder for a quick look and noticed the bottom absolutely packed with what I thought would be some fresh couta.
IMG_1329.jpg
The Egi rod I had with me was brought back out with some 40g metals dropped all the way to the bottom.

Boom, instant hook up. Coutalicious.
IMG_1326.jpg
Boom, instant hook up.... more Coutalicious fun

Boom

Boom

Metal gone

Re tie

Boom

Metal gone

The couta gave the egi rod a real good work out and they were fun to catch. Unfortunately the lack of a wire trace meant that the loss of metals outweighed the fun of catching slimy gross couta.

If you look at the lure in the coutas mouth and the baitfish thats come up with the couta its pretty easy to work out why they were smashing them.
IMG_1328.jpg
With fresh bait on board I was a bit more confident in what I was presenting on the hooks....

Not having fished for snapper in a while a lot of the morning was spent getting my bearings back and making sure I was doing all the 1% right. From anchoring on the mark, to getting the fresh bait, to spreading the lines, to ensuring that my baits were floating perfectly in the tide.

With some fresh strips of couta out the wait was back on.......

Time passed with not so much as a bite and at this point we were at about mid tide and I started to consider moving to another spot where I had found the water temp half a degree higher in the morning.

I was provided some very important wisdom at this point from ST and backed myself that the plan was right and to wait it out as the bite window would be quick and short.... being early season snapper and all.

Couple of minutes after that I wasn't 100% happy with the last set of baits that went out so I went through the process of bringing them all in, re baiting with fresh couta fillets and squid and getting them back out.

The last rod of the 4 comes up for a change over and would you know it there is a 32cm flatty on it - I think to myself well at least that is something....
IMG_1332.jpg
That's when it all happens....

Out of the corner of my eye I see rod 3 of 4 start to twitch....... start to taper..... start to buckle......

ZZZZz....... ZZZz........ ZZZZ......

Yes, Yes, Yes..... come on!!!!

No time to worry about the flatty, he can wait..... this is what I came for, no other boats around. Just me, the sun and a buckle.

Being out of the game for awhile I'm not sure what's on the end of my rod. I am reading it as a snapper, possibly a gummy as it's not fighting to hard. Almost feels like it's coming to the boat.

I start winding her in.... BOOM, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz

That's better, decent fish.

Bring in a little bit more line BOOOOOM, ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Hang on, this is a very good fish.

A little more line, BOOOOOOOMMMMM, ZZZZZZZZZzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

$@@% this is a red and a good one at that.

Head shakes, boom, more line taken, more head shakes, more line taken.

This goes on for 5 mins +, adrenaline pumping..... I'm going to need the net whatever this is.

I'm confident I've got a good set of hooks into the fish so I tighten up the slack, put the rod in the holder and get the net from the cabin.

Back to the fight, the fish is coming up easier now. Please be a big red.

Then I see it, underside first. A nice fat strip of white. Not bad, looks decent.

Then he turns over and oh ma lord that's a big fish. Holy cow, that's got a bit of a knob on it's head and all.

At this point I am ecstatic. This is not only an early season snapper but it's god damn huge.

I look at the net and at the snapper.... and in the feeblest of attempts at netting this thing I soon realise that this net isn't going to be big enough.... (it's not even a small net).

Telling myself to keep my cool, stay calm and work it out I decide that I am going to need to tail grab this horse and bring him over with some brute strength.

First attempt, fish is gone... but not to far. He's tired now which is just what I need.

2nd attempt, a little slower. Make sure he is boat side and knackered. Firm grasp on the tail, hand under the gill and lift.

Oh lordy, in the boat is one stonka of a fish.

After letting out some battle cries, some hell yeas and sending some @3$% yeah videos I sit back and think to myself, that is how it's done!.

Make plan, stick it through and watch it go bam.

Not one other boat in site, perfect day and a PB snapper on board pushing 90cm and 8.1kg after being bled.
IMG_1336.jpg
IMG_1676 copy.jpg
IMG_1679 copy.jpg

From there I had what I believe to be a huge ray 20m at the back of the boat, up to the top of the water flapping it's wings in the current...... line snap.

The biggest banjo I have ever seen...

And just general mayhem that I believe meant my baits were out of the water in what was a 10-20m bite period.

Absolutely ecstatic at the effort. Most of all I learn an absolute tonne getting out there and doing it myself.

Key take aways for me were the 1%'s really matter.... especially on early season fish. You have to do everything right to make sure you are in the best position come that bite window.

Have a plan and be confident that what you are doing will work. It may not always come off, but that's fishing.

Most of all, stick to the plan. Do it enough and it will pay off.

Cheers

PS - Given the current state of this forum I hesitated to post this report. All the bull going on is a real turn off to anyone that is actually considering posting something worth while.

I try and treat this forum like I am going fishing with some mates.

You wan't some banter, but no one being a knob.
You wan't some good conversation, but no one talking gibberish or rambling on and recking the serenity.
Most of all, if someone is annoying you don't take it to heart and get all sooky. Go and fish somewhere else that's more pleasant.

If you find yourself in an argument online you need to seriously check in with reality and what's actually important in life. Internet fights certainly aren't.

Tight lines boys and girls.

The specifics
- 5/9/19
- Westernport top end
- Ebb tide, just after peak flow
- 8.30am in the morning
- Barometer at around the 1020
- Water temp 11.75 (surface temp from sounder)
- Fresh couta tail section
- Standard stay line 2 hook rig with an ezi rig sinker set up
- Snapper 8.1kg
Last edited by yepi'mon on Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: WP - Snapper Hunt 5/9

Post by Trumpeter » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Lovely fish mate well done :tu:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Magnificent report! Great story, great advice and some timely wise words....thanks for the post

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Yeppie, as Fred Flintstone says,

"Yeppie Yeppie Dooo"

And you sure did doooo, and doooo very well.

Unless it's a hot bite or a smashing spot, I agree, it's the 1% that makes the difference. But credit to you sticking to a plan. But you under sold yourself, you have to have an educated, informed plan which you did and hence not blind confidence but confidence in how the plan was worked out.

And you sly ol' dog, reading that report, you know exactly what you're doing, just needed to blow the cobwebs off and with a 90cm Red Broom, what a way to blow them off. Well done :tu: and with the wise words too :tu:

All hail Lord Yeppie :nw: :nw: :nw:

Cheers, Bugs

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Great write up mate!
Enjoyed the read very much! Made it exciting and wanting to know what happens next!
Congrats on your new PB! That’s a bloody awesome red mate!
Well done. Happy days :)
Cheers :tu:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Nice fish Jasonfish will be pumped well done

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Noice fish! Good report too, nice story telling there :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:58 pm

What a report
Well done mate
Great fish
Hope things only get better.for.you

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:01 pm

great fish as a matter of interest my sounder was showing 14.2 deg on Sat my guess around the same area maybe the water temp is starting to move
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:56 am

cheaterparts wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:01 pm
great fish as a matter of interest my sounder was showing 14.2 deg on Sat my guess around the same area maybe the water temp is starting to move
Yeah I think so, it's been on the rise the last few weeks. Definitely won't be long until things start to really fire!

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”