Mono or wire trace??

phil1818

Re: Mono or wire trace??

Post by phil1818 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Lightningx wrote:Yep I’d stick to the mono as well.
How the hell fo you go about tieing whipper snipper lune on???? You crimping it on? Pretty interesting idea indeed

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:43 pm

Sorry that last one was in response to dezza

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Fish wire side by side with mono for the next 10 sessions and note the catch rates.

They don’t differ much at all...

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:52 pm

ducky wrote:Fish wire side by side with mono for the next 10 sessions and note the catch rates.

They don’t differ much at all...
So you recon it’s same same? Is that from personal experience with using wire?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm

Yes. A few years ago now I fished 80lb black nylon coated wire side by side with 80lb jinkai leader. 2 rods. Rigged exactly the same otherwise. Same leader lengths etc. didn’t notice any difference in landing rate per rod. Targeting gummies and got sick of biteoffs But was told not to use wire.

Caught gummies. Small pinkies. Snapper. Everything else you normally get. Had more confidence with the rod that had wire too.

Have a crack and see for yourself.

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:07 pm

ducky wrote:Yes. A few years ago now I fished 80lb black nylon coated wire side by side with 80lb jinkai leader. 2 rods. Rigged exactly the same otherwise. Same leader lengths etc. didn’t notice any difference in landing rate per rod. Targeting gummies and got sick of biteoffs But was told not to use wire.

Caught gummies. Small pinkies. Snapper. Everything else you normally get. Had more confidence with the rod that had wire too.

Great info mate thanks for that have the 80lb black nylon also, my thinking was it would blend in with the muddy bottom and away we go.. iam keen to run the two different set ups side by side and see the results but hearing that gives me confidence :a_goodjob:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm

ducky wrote:Yes. A few years ago now I fished 80lb black nylon coated wire side by side with 80lb jinkai leader. 2 rods. Rigged exactly the same otherwise. Same leader lengths etc. didn’t notice any difference in landing rate per rod. Targeting gummies and got sick of biteoffs But was told not to use wire.

Good idea then you know what works best for you

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:29 am

phil1818 wrote:Cheers mate I’ll give it a go, I got some reasonably fine trace that is coated in black I thought this would blend in with the mostly muddy bottom. Might run just a single rod with it as a bit of an experiment along with the rest of my rods running mono see what happens

They can detect the electrical currents given off by the wire, which spooks them. Its a no go mate. Unless you experiment with things like i mentioned, plastic tubing, glow beads over the wire, and limit the amount of metal on show.

Stick with heavy pound Mono, and use Inline circles, not octopus. As well as the correct amount of drag pressure to help your cause of not being bitten off.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 am

Not experienced with it but nylon coated wire any better?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:56 am

Not really

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”