blind bight boat ramp times??

jasew3

blind bight boat ramp times??

Post by jasew3 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Evening All
wondering if anyone has used the ramp before as I intend to go for a fish this Friday as hightide is abt 7.30am and low abt 1.30pm. My question is how long do I have before there is no water in the cove entrance on the way back in after fishing? I was thinking I would be ok to get back abt 12.30 ish but not sure. (Im only taking out a light 4mtr stacer boat)(first time)...
Any info would be appreciated.
Regards Jason :thumbsup:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: blind bight boat ramp times??

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 am

if it's any help the lowest tide height I can get a kayak in or out from the BB ramp is 1.4 meter tide height - you will need more than that

going by the tide chart I could get in with a kayak ( without getting muddy feet ) around 10.40 am or after 4.30 pm any lower that that is a drag through the mud - not an option for a boat
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 am

BB is one of those places that local knowledge is definitely key. At low tide...there is no water...at half tide...there can still be no water. Id only launch out of there 2 hrs either side of high tide...just to be safe.
Ive never launched there, but deal with a lot of the local boat owners down there, who have launching times almost to the second (as to when they can last launch/retrieve)
oh...and seen as its your first time (is it first time ever in a boat? or just this boat?) id only launch at high tide...in case you have any dramas.

Remember...in a place that has no water for most of the 2 tides...your stuck out in WP for hours at a time. Be prepared...AND NEVER GET OUT OF YOUR BOAT AND THINK YOU CAN WALK ACROSS THE MUD.

**also...if your a local down that way...go down to the boat ramp and try to talk to some of the locals...they are very helpful and would rather talk to someone, than have to go rescue them. The Blind Bight boat owners have a get together every week...just go ask at the community centre**

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:43 am

My dad always launches Lang Lang for some reason and its also influenced by the tide... 15 mins extra drive and he could launch at corinella like a normal person and wouldn't have the risk of being caught out there for hours of the time (or needing someone to get his car+trailer and pick him up from corinella which has happened before)

I suggest just launching at tooradin and be done with it.

Vargs

Post by Vargs » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 am

Some of those ramps get very dry for a long time. I use Warneet and to keep life easy I always try to target a time when I have 1m of water so for this weekend I have a 4 hour no go window to come back. This is for a 4.2 M tinnie. You will need much more than an hour. Warneet and Tooradin have much better facilities for the top of Westernport.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:57 am

I’d just launch from another ramp.. then you don’t have to worry about that stuff and can do what you want out on the water

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 am

STriplett1997 wrote:I’d just launch from another ramp.. then you don’t have to worry about that stuff and can do what you want out on the water
This. I've heard plenty of good things about tooradin ramp... honestly just use that lol

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Kimtown wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:I’d just launch from another ramp.. then you don’t have to worry about that stuff and can do what you want out on the water
This. I've heard plenty of good things about tooradin ramp... honestly just use that lol
I mean.. it’d drive me nuts having to work around that when you want to target a species on a specific tide or factor in bait collection and all those things, would feel way too restricted for me to fish seriously

slinga

Post by slinga » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Warneet is better than Tooradin...

Launched Tooradin once... never again!

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:38 pm

slinga wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Warneet is better than Tooradin...

Launched Tooradin once... never again!
I'm probably getting confused between the 2 here, but I thought Tooradin was the ramp that was accessible throughout all staged of the tide and had floating pontoons, whereas Warneet was a high tide only ramp with timber jetty? Obviously vis versa... ?

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”