fri/sat night westernport

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

fri/sat night westernport

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:25 pm

As I mentioned in another thread the weather forecasters should be held to account. Showers and then rain "possibly heavy" "possible storms" and the magic "variable wind"" were all at it again.

no rain from 3pm fri to 10am sat. wind was supposed to be soutch west turning south east. it was a west to south west til about 1 am.
Me and the old man left my place and got to hastings at about 3 15 pm yesterday. Seems everyone in Melbourne was brainwashed by the Armageddon forecast as we were the only boat out at the time of launching. (another came as we left the pier) bugger all wind, no rain... yet only 2 boats out....
carmwater.jpg
Fished for almost 2 hours off a place near stony point where we get gummies and pinkies. Managed to get a reasonable gummie and 2 pinkies. water temp was 20 and the weed was annoying.

This time of year the big whiting go ballistic on dusk so we decided to head to a place where they are consistently over 44cm. started slow but we managed to get 4 over 40 with 2 bring 46cm and really fat. with no action we moved to another spot around ventnor and got 2 more whiting. it was getting late so we hit the sack, woke up the morning to a screaming reel and got our 3rd gummy at about 5am.

with still no rain drizzle or any sort of precipitation and the wind being 10 knots at most we went to mchaffies reef and got some more whiting water temp by this time was 18.9. whiting took pippi and mussel.
rods hit the water with every bite as they were in a frenzy like they are most stormy weather.

was a good trip all in all. Glad no coastguards or water police were out and about today on the 10 - 15 knot water. their lives would of been in jeopardy... scary stuff...

got the boat in, washed it and went to clean the fish in my backyard away from prying eyes and it rained...
glad I didn't cancel a trip because of a pathetic weather report.
catch.jpeg
Gummies.jpeg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: fri/sat night westernport

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Top catch mate!
Nice work :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:38 pm

good report

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Good catch mate! lots of Whiting around WP atm, getting them whilst snapper fishing in steady numbers

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Decent haul there. But mate you sound like a liability. Yes the report mightn't of been as severe as predicted but when rednecks think they are untouchable than when **** does hit the fan it can go pear shaped quickly. You should come down my neck of the woods with that attitude and wonder why you are sleeping with the fishes.

jimmy_jack

Post by jimmy_jack » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Hosery wrote:Decent haul there. But mate you sound like a liability. Yes the report mightn't of been as severe as predicted but when rednecks think they are untouchable than when sh*t does hit the fan it can go pear shaped quickly. You should come down my neck of the woods with that attitude and wonder why you are sleeping with the fishes.
Mate you obviously dont fish stony point very often. The father in law and i fished it regularly a couple of years ago and found that these conditions worked best for us. After looking at the weather on friday night im gutted we didn't get the boat out.
Anyway good work on the fish mate, glad you had a cracking time with the old man :a_goodjob: :water:

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:34 pm

jimmy_jack wrote:
Hosery wrote:Decent haul there. But mate you sound like a liability. Yes the report mightn't of been as severe as predicted but when rednecks think they are untouchable than when sh*t does hit the fan it can go pear shaped quickly. You should come down my neck of the woods with that attitude and wonder why you are sleeping with the fishes.
Mate you obviously dont fish stony point very often. The father in law and i fished it regularly a couple of years ago and found that these conditions worked best for us. After looking at the weather on friday night im gutted we didn't get the boat out.
Anyway good work on the fish mate, glad you had a cracking time with the old man :a_goodjob: :water:
Don't even no where the place is let alone fished it. Go nuts fishing before a front comes through generally do well. But don't complain the weather report is always wrong. Yes they quite often get it wrong and err on the side of caution. But when it's predicted to blow 20+ knots from the south and you say ah stuff it they are always wrong I'll go out. Then start questioning yourself as there are white caps cresting over your bow hoping you will make it back in 1 piece. But than again never been there could be sheltered as. I'm just used to my area with no protection from the weather.

LINwAd

Post by LINwAd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Nice catches bud!
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:38 am

Hosery wrote:
jimmy_jack wrote:
Don't even no where the place is let alone fished it. Go nuts fishing before a front comes through generally do well. But don't complain the weather report is always wrong. Yes they quite often get it wrong and err on the side of caution. But when it's predicted to blow 20+ knots from the south and you say ah stuff it they are always wrong I'll go out. Then start questioning yourself as there are white caps cresting over your bow hoping you will make it back in 1 piece. But than again never been there could be sheltered as. I'm just used to my area with no protection from the weather.
There was a strong wind warning, believing that it would die down, I went out and in about half hour later, I was battling steep 2 meter waves and I had to travel a zig zag course to get back to shelter and it took a fair while to travel only a kilometer.

I have been out in a smaller boat in WPB when squalls would come through creating decent size waves, that would die down once the wind died down. Mind you it wasn't pleasant.

Does the Weather Bureau often get it wrong?

Sure sometimes forecasts are not accurate, but I believe that they tend to be more accurate the majority of the time.

It must be remembered that PPB and WPB are big bodies of water and there can be a difference in the weather between the north and south of these bays.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:43 am

That would be stupid. Ive got no experience where you fish.
Im comfortable in my own surroundings of westernport with over 25 years of experience fishing it. With the islands there is almost always somewhere to fish if you lnow what your doing.

Theres 1 thing being able to fish and being able to fish comfortably though. As i said 10 - 15 knots isnt rough at all and was more than comfortable.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”