Kilcunda/Lang Lang report 22/4

Dizzzayyy

Kilcunda/Lang Lang report 22/4

Post by Dizzzayyy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey all,
Headed down to Kilcunda to try target some Salmon Saturday morning, arrived to find pretty tough conditions that only worsened while we were there..
We didn't let it dampen our spirits though and on the way back to our area stopped at Lang Lang to catch the run out tide.
Im glad we did as I landed this nice Elephant on pillys, missed another one shortly after too.
Fresh flake for dinner!
Attachments
IMG_1862.jpg

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Kilcunda/Lang Lang report 22/4

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm

Nice fish bud

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Nice elephant fish.....would off be windy saturday

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Nice report and fish :thumbsup:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm

nice fish, from some reports from my mates there doesn't seem to have been as many elephants this year don't know if they are late or just reduced numbers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:18 am

Nude up wrote:nice fish, from some reports from my mates there doesn't seem to have been as many elephants this year don't know if they are late or just reduced numbers
it's been a warm autumn, if the water temp is what triggers their run it's possible they'll be a bit later this year

what do people do with them? I tried my first one the other night and it was ok but not as nice as gummy. I bled it and gutted it while on the water and got it straight on ice. I'm wondering if I should be soaking it in something to try and draw out the ammonia or whatever
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bar002811

Post by Bar002811 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:11 am

Nice elephant fish mate!!

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:49 pm

4liters wrote:
what do people do with them? I tried my first one the other night and it was ok but not as nice as gummy. I bled it and gutted it while on the water and got it straight on ice. I'm wondering if I should be soaking it in something to try and draw out the ammonia or whatever
Hi Ian,
If you bleed them well I have found personally chucking the fillets in the freezer overnight (or longer) When it thaws out you'll see pinkish water come out of the flesh which reduces the ammonia & taste.
The other thing I have done when I wasn't sure it was bled right is to make a brine solution & leave the fillets soaking overnight in the fridge- it helps draw the blood/ammonia out :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:53 pm

4liters wrote:
Nude up wrote:nice fish, from some reports from my mates there doesn't seem to have been as many elephants this year don't know if they are late or just reduced numbers
it's been a warm autumn, if the water temp is what triggers their run it's possible they'll be a bit later this year

I use them in a fish curry the flesh doesn't break down and the curry normally green adds flavour

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:58 am

4liters wrote:

agree....I dont think there that nice eithier

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”