Welcome to the dark side

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Welcome to the dark side

Post by Scraglor » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 pm

So, I have been a PPB fisherman all my life. For the last 25 or so years my old man and I have gone out and dangled a line hoping for the best. In the last couple of years, thanks mostly to this forum, I have gotten a lot more serious, and we reliably catch good bags of snapper through the season. In winter we target squid and salmon. Flatties are obviously a year round prospect.

We have ventured over to WP every now and again for not much love. In hindsight, its mostly when the fishing is also slow in PPB. This has led us to the conclusion that WP is a lot less productive than PPB. Amongst other things the tides and the way the bay chops up have turned us off.

However, this weekend, we went out with a friend more experienced with WP, who showed us some good deep spots, that were fantastic fishing. we ended up catching close to 12 different species, with big squid and 44cm whiting amongst them. Now, I know when the current runs things get harder, and I assume you need to find shallower spots during the middle of the tide. What I am asking for is just some basic beginner tips for WP (launching at hastings) to get us started, as I now have the bug pretty bad, and dont think I can go back to just fishing PPB. Im not asking for spots or GPS marks, just a bit of know how from more experienced members in regards to what to do when the current is running hard, etc.

PS: My mind was blown at the size of WP sinkers.

tuna tube

Re: Welcome to the dark side

Post by tuna tube » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Mate when that tide runs, all you can do is use bigger sinkers. We love fishing WP. A lot less traffic and the quality of fish is far better. This year, WP has been fishing brilliantly, far better than werribee south (which has been great). Werribee has produced snapper in numbers however, the fish are bigger in WP.
Cheers
The Tube

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:10 am

At some locations in Alaska, while fishing for halibut, we need 2 kg sinkers. Bringing that up from 100-150 m can wear you out especially if you are our ages.
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:22 am

tuna tube wrote:Mate when that tide runs, all you can do is use bigger sinkers. We love fishing WP. A lot less traffic and the quality of fish is far better. This year, WP has been fishing brilliantly, far better than werribee south (which has been great). Werribee has produced snapper in numbers however, the fish are bigger in WP.
Cheers mate, yeah, I loved the variety. Didnt know what we'd bring on board next. I reckon im gonna need to upgrade my gear just to keep dragging the big sinkers around lol.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:40 am

Scraglor wrote:However, this weekend, we went out with a friend more experienced with WP, who showed us some good deep spots, that were fantastic fishing. we ended up catching close to 12 different species, with big squid and 44cm whiting amongst them. Now, I know when the current runs things get harder, and I assume you need to find shallower spots during the middle of the tide. What I am asking for is just some basic beginner tips for WP (launching at hastings) to get us started, as I now have the bug pretty bad, and dont think I can go back to just fishing PPB. Im not asking for spots or GPS marks, just a bit of know how from more experienced members in regards to what to do when the current is running hard, etc.

PS: My mind was blown at the size of WP sinkers.
Dont alway think you need deep water to find fish in WP most species can be found in quite shallow water ( much less tide flow )
Always put out a gummy bait no matter where you fish as they turn up every where
Scraglor wrote:We have ventured over to WP every now and again for not much love. In hindsight, its mostly when the fishing is also slow in PPB. This has led us to the conclusion that WP is a lot less productive than PPB. Amongst other things the tides and the way the bay chops up have turned us off.
It's funny how tides and the smaller waves in WP is a turn off - I fish WP most of the time and most W/Es ,I dont venture onto PPB offen now and I fish from a kayak
the main reasons are that WP has always produced much better than PPB for me and it's a much safer bay to paddle ( land is always close and theres always somewhere out of the wind and waves )
most of the time much shorter distances to travel and tide flows bring fish to you

an example - PPB you sound around to find snapper then park and fish , WP though if you just park on a grazing area you know that the snapper will find you so will Gummies -- a much better plan
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:42 am

Variety of sinkers from 1oz to 24+oz. Like cheater said not everything has to be deep, but in some parts on the Hastings side deep is best. Take a light rod that can handle 8oz sinkers. Amount of people who don't realise Whiting are still caught in 20m of water still confuses me. This side is all about channels. Fish run up the banks, and grab things falling off them. Also use them as thoroughfares for where they want to go.

And don't park your arse smack bang in the middle of entrances to unmarked channels. If you do don't be surprised at some pissed off regulars screaming at you all sorts of names as they're trimmed right up flat stick just to not hit the bottom only 10 or so metres from it you

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 am

Fished both bays, the same species are available in both and both have pros and cons.

For WPB and Corner Inlet deeper faster current areas we typically use 8-10kg outfits with TLD20 or similar overheads.

Sinkers anywhere from 3-16oz but often in 20m plus 8oz when the tide is close to the turn with 12-16oz during the middle. If 16oz doesn't hold bottom I move to shallower water as larger sinkers typically result is a low hook up rate.

Re KGW, we typically catch them on the edge of channels in the slightly deeper water, typical sit on the edge.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:40 pm

alaskanaturally wrote:At some locations in Alaska, while fishing for halibut, we need 2 kg sinkers. Bringing that up from 100-150 m can wear you out especially if you are our ages.
:rofl: hey we have enough sore backs and aching muscles fishing wp with 16oz sinkers, would hate to think of how 2 kilos would feel

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”