Finally Big Red on 3mtr deep water - awesome fight

viclovesfish

Finally Big Red on 3mtr deep water - awesome fight

Post by viclovesfish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:26 am

snapper.png
Hi Again guys... finally a good news after a bad pier experience..... I decided to fish close to home with a mate this time... we are actually not after a big fish just decided to wet a line , so we bring chicken as bait to catch some mullet and trevs.... dunno why my mate loves mullet..

I packed my 6'ft 10lb rod (same one I use for squid) and drive bout 15 min from my place (im fm berwick to give u clue on the spot). had some awesome fun to start with.. first cast trev.... and never ending mullets.. mullets.. mullets.... still lowtide ... water bout 2-3 mtrs

bout 8pm .. bang.. my rod screamed... it never screamed that way before I was thinking could be big eel as no chance there's a big fish where we are fishing no chance,, but I was wrong.. ..... reel keep screaming.. my heart was pumping.....my line is going to break.... I swear.... bad word keep coming from my mouth can't help it..... my friend runnind arround the bank to see where the fish went.... fish took bout 50mtrs of my 10 pound braid.. and I could not see where it went bit dark .. I still don't have clue.. this time I prayed I don't get snag from the fallen trees on the bank.... after bout 15 minutes of swearing and and praying .... my mate shouting and jumping.. it's a fish and red one..... it get tired and lay flat on the water.. I slowly reeled it in..
I landed my first ever big red on a 10lb braid... the feeling was unbelievably F'.. ing awesome.... woooohh.. it's like my heart was so light after that experience.... very happy... no wonder why fishing is therapeutic... this is the feeling I ever longed for.....

Lesson learned.... never underestimate this place..... not all big fish are in deep water and u don't have to squeeze in piers and get tangled and bullied by people..... we also caugth 60CM mullet... never seen mullet that big before.. let me know if u can't see the photos.. will upload again.. cheers.....
Attachments
mullet.png

matt1991

Re: Finally Big Red on 3mtr deep water - awesome fight

Post by matt1991 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:36 am

Thats awesome! Great stuff mate.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 am

Pharkk.. good works Mate. Absolutely cracking fish.
I can only guess whets this is. Did any local guys see you catch this.
Cheers

azaita

Post by azaita » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:39 am

Awesome stuff mate. I have been fishing from Lagoon Pier in Port Melbourne several times over the last few weeks for not even a bite. This sort of article inspires me to keep trying. Well done.

smoken

Post by smoken » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 am

Congrats on both the fish!

I remember spear fishing down at Sorrento and seeing large schools of mullet swimming around, always out of range. I've never eaten them, but I guess some like them.

viclovesfish

Post by viclovesfish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:48 am

purple5ive wrote:Pharkk.. good works Mate. Absolutely cracking fish.
I can only guess whets this is. Did any local guys see you catch this.
Cheers
after our shouts of joy and laughters,..and I do apologize to the neighborhood there.. it was a quiet place.. we filled with swearing and laughters... after 30 min a car came to check us out.. and they could not believe what they saw... awesome night

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:53 am

:rocking_report: and well done. Did the snapper take the chicken as bait and I'm guessing you would've have had a large hook either
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

viclovesfish

Post by viclovesfish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 am

smoken wrote:Congrats on both the fish!

I remember spear fishing down at Sorrento and seeing large schools of mullet swimming around, always out of range. I've never eaten them, but I guess some like them.

Some people put it in the fish tank for 3 days to clean the system same with carp.. but I guess it's also depends how someone cook and prepares them....when I went to Japan.. I couldnt believe I just ate Eel... when I tried to imitate the cooking it was sh*t..

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 am

Nice size snapper, even better on the light gear!! The mullet in the picture looks like a sea mullet which grow much larger than the regular yellow eye mullet. Ive never eaten a sea mullet so cant offer any info on edibility/deliciousness.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

viclovesfish

Post by viclovesfish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:03 am

Raulfc7 wrote::rocking_report: and well done. Did the snapper take the chicken as bait and I'm guessing you would've have had a large hook either
Yes we don't have any other bait but chicken.. my first ever cheapest, lightest fishing session... I normally equiped with 12-14 ft surf rods and other stuff and spend bout 15Aud on bait.... My mate spent 3 dollar on chicken and still many left over..... and we caught many diffrent fish.. I forgot to take photo of the Trev,, it was big too,, im guessing there is a shark cruising..... there was a dark long thing cruising in the water.... and the fish jumping.... will bring my 30lb braid nxttime...

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”