Reputation system (Rep)

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Re: Reputation system (Rep)

Post by Aaron75 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:09 pm

Boonanza wrote:
It's funny how FEW actually take part in this comp and then comments like this which proves it's an ego thing. There are plenty on here who are great fishermen but don't brag about every fish they catch. :water:
I don't know of anyone who gets an ego boost out of the species comp or treats it competitively, it's more of a personal challenge to yourself to try new things and target species you wouldn't normally go after. There's very little trash talk around it, most of the chatter is people helping each other out, I don't think anybody really cares who wins.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:13 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Boonanza wrote:
It's funny how FEW actually take part in this comp and then comments like this which proves it's an ego thing. There are plenty on here who are great fishermen but don't brag about every fish they catch. :water:
I don't know of anyone who gets an ego boost out of the species comp or treats it competitively, it's more of a personal challenge to yourself to try new things and target species you wouldn't normally go after. There's very little trash talk around it, most of the chatter is people helping each other out, I don't think anybody really cares who wins.
I can't speak for the others but those are certainly the reasons I'm doing it. Having only been fishing for just a little over 12 months now I felt it was a good way to force myself to learn a bunch of new techniques.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:30 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Aaron75 wrote:The species comp is a good way to judge whose advice is worth listening to - if I start giving expert advice, a quick look at the SC leaderboard will tell you I'm probably full of crap.
thats a very good comment boony

Ive got no doubt there are some very good fisherman in the sc as you can tell by there fish.. but there are some seariouly gun fisherman on this site who dont enter comps ...all you need to do is read there posts and look at there pics.

the smart man would never judge anything on a species comp leader

alot of blokes just like fishing with there mates.

just my opinion

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Aaron75 wrote:The species comp is a good way to judge whose advice is worth listening to - if I start giving expert advice, a quick look at the SC leaderboard will tell you I'm probably full of crap.

It depends on what your goals are. If you're the goal setting type then something like 'put 20 scores on the board' is awesome cos it's going to take some time. Others like 'get the biggest snapper' or 'get the biggest saltwater total' are good as well.

I dunno if you've ever met anyone in the top 3 on the leaderboard at the moment but they are all pretty humble, quietly spoken, polite dudes. I think the challenge is what attracts the people who enter, but that's not why a lot of folks go fishing.

There are plenty of incredibly good anglers on here that don't enter. I have in my mind a list of a dozen or so people that when they tell you something you can probably take it as fact. We are lucky to have ex fishing guides, professional fisherman, people with lifetimes of experience to learn from. Passing judgement based on a comp with 14 entries on a site with 12,000 members is insane. On top of that. someone with a lifetime experience fishing PPB for snapper isn't going to be competitive, because that might be all they want to do. A freshwater guy based in Shepp same thing. I might end up with a bigger total, but i'm dreaming if I think i'm a better cod fisho than some of those guys.

In my opinion there is no need at all for a reputation button. Spend a week reading old threads and you'll figure out in a hurry who knows what they're talking about.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

adamk

Post by adamk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 pm

to be honest the rep system is a wank factor

ex admin of a fair few big warez/cracking sites, talking between 10k to 500k members.

people will get asshurt, all too easy. then it will be neg rep spamming.

i think a shoutbox would be a better thing to be honest.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Sorry for my ignorance, but whats a shoutbox?

adamk

Post by adamk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:49 pm

Scraglor wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but whats a shoutbox?
um this, kinda an old example too lazy to take new screenshots.
Attachments
mike pwned.png

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:04 pm

DougieK wrote:
Boonanza wrote:

It depends on what your goals are. If you're the goal setting type then something like 'put 20 scores on the board' is awesome cos it's going to take some time. Others like 'get the biggest snapper' or 'get the biggest saltwater total' are good as well.

I dunno if you've ever met anyone in the top 3 on the leaderboard at the moment but they are all pretty humble, quietly spoken, polite dudes. I think the challenge is what attracts the people who enter, but that's not why a lot of folks go fishing.

There are plenty of incredibly good anglers on here that don't enter. I have in my mind a list of a dozen or so people that when they tell you something you can probably take it as fact. We are lucky to have ex fishing guides, professional fisherman, people with lifetimes of experience to learn from. Passing judgement based on a comp with 14 entries on a site with 12,000 members is insane. On top of that. someone with a lifetime experience fishing PPB for snapper isn't going to be competitive, because that might be all they want to do. A freshwater guy based in Shepp same thing. I might end up with a bigger total, but i'm dreaming if I think i'm a better cod fisho than some of those guys.

In my opinion there is no need at all for a reputation button. Spend a week reading old threads and you'll figure out in a hurry who knows what they're talking about.
Agree...read old posts with pics and its easy to work out...
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:01 am

In my experience rep points turn a forum into a massive circle jerk.

The forum works fine as it is.

As for the species Comp. The intention when it was made was because I get bored chasing the same species every day and like the idea of a comp where you could challenge yourself to become a more well rounded angler. It's got nothing to do with ego. it's a pretty fun Comp all round and you get to see some quality fish too.

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:16 am

I personally don't do comps but others enjoy them. I'm still learning & will continue till the day I die but I'm happy to share my experiences & if I have an idea that may work I'll share if I think it's helpful.
They say, "Opinions are like noses- Everyone has one" ;-)
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”