VIP Status

Fishing Victoria is always open to suggestions to improve the forums for you.
Post any questions, bugs, suggestions and feedback about the site here.
sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: VIP Status

Post by sloth » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Blue - you asked what's the value of VIP.

Id say the value is that it encourages people to donate. I have zero evidence but I'd guess that the site generates more donations through offering VIP access than it would be just asking for donations. A bit of a carrot I guess.

Personally speaking I've offered some detail in VIP posts that I wouldn't outside of VIP.

drew 2

Post by drew 2 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:37 pm

wokka1 wrote:There is another upside to VIP...you get to give the Cats a flogging (and I'm not talking about the football).
How sweet that must have been mate :Boxing: :Boxing: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:42 pm

Blue wrote:....................................................................................................................................................
Makes one wonder why we bother with the separation.Don,t get me wrong, the cost of rego doesn't bother nor am I looking for any elitist information, I,m wondering why we have it...........................................................................................
From your posts since you have explained that you are questioning the reasoning behind having a separate section as opposed to questioning the value of VIP membership. I think some members here have not realised your intentions yet.
barra mick wrote:
TrevKing wrote:I don't really see it as a separation, more of a donation to support the site.
If I post a report it goes in the regular forums and if I want to keep secrets I don't post them at all.
If I need a secret spot I just ask tuba tube...no need for vip
A comment perhaps said in jest but guessing you met Tuna Tube on the forum. Just like I met the Nagambonian and fellow Sheppartonian, not to forget a couple Frankstonites, Taturaians and Kyabramites, amongst others. We are fortunate Jon has provided this free service for so long. Some people will choose to support it monetary wise for this reason, others will support it other ways. It is up to the individual. The only 'leeches' here are the non posting members who just troll for spots. As wokka and Trevking say:
wokka1 wrote:
TrevKing wrote:I don't really see it as a separation, more of a donation to support the site.

This. These forums don't host themselves.
While we are talking about Frankstonites,
purple5ive wrote:I could be opening a can of worms here. BUT.
Prior to my joining. I thought the whole VIP club was just for certain people on the forum who were always fishing with each other and they kept their fishing spots and meetups to the VIP section only. (Which is quite reasonable)
......................................................................................................................................................................
Not sure about the 'fishing together' bit but I assumed the section was for VIP members who don't mind sharing to put some of their better locations in. With the idea that it would give other VIP members some value for their $5 donation. There seemed to be a lot of posts in the early days but then it just died off.

At the end of the day I would like to see it stay as it is. On saying that, I don't really care! :P Originally I thought it may create division but it doesn't seem to be too bad. One can choose to contribute $5 or one can contribute knowledge...or both! I don't think it creates division.

I know some members may think it is a joke being asked for a $5 contribution for the privilege of helping others on this site. Don't look at it this way...nobody is forcing it on you and I can't even remember the last time Jon pushed for members.

Last but not least, I was on a nation wide forum that has had issues so I went looking for a new one. Found one called Ausfish. Had a look at it and found some interesting threads regarding membership. Joined up to see if it was true...and yes it was!

For new members, if you want the ability to respond to threads or start your own threads,or pm anyone...$10 per year.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showth ... bscription" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is also a 'premium membership' for $80 a year!
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showth ... hip-option" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not 'forum bashing' either. Many members there believe it is worth it. Just saying things are not that bad here...not that anyone said they are bad! :) There is always 10 sides to the story...do what you want in regards to membership here. I believe we are travelling well so leave it (VIP section) alone. Sorry about the long winded post.
cheers
Jim

PS. Nearly forgot...what wokka said about the cats and their comps!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Blue wrote:I wanted to pose the question on VIP value.
I,ve been a forum member for a cupola years and early on registered for VIP thinking there might be something special about it.
After a while I deleted the VIP logo, dunno why particularly, maybe not wishing to seperate myself from rank and file members.Since then I check in every now and then to see what,s happening and the answer is,not much. I recall Big Watkins at one stage saying something like "Hey are,nt VIP members fishing?" Obviously because there weren,t any notes coming in.
A glance at today's index s shows 25 entries on the first page,one in June (that,s o k just new month) but most are April stretching back to February - on the first page!
Makes one wonder why we bother with the separation.Don,t get me wrong, the cost of rego doesn't bother nor am I looking for any elitist information, I,m wondering why we have it. This is meant to be constructive comment,am I missing something here?
Would be interested to hear other veiws.
Blue

Hi members,

thanks for starting this thread. It's been an insightful read.

The original intention of setting up the VIP section was two-fold:

1. Generate a small income stream for Fishing Victoria to cover the costs of operating, hosting, maintenance, etc.
2. A section where members can share some more specific details of their catch such as a sensitive fishing location.

This part of the forum has been going for over 2 years. I acknowledge that during this time, people have preferred to post details of their catch in the main forum in order to reach a wider audience. It was never intended to create any segregation although I get that some may see it that way.

Our last VIP donation was back in April. If members do not see any value from a VIP section, then I am happy to listen to suggestions.

I run this forum outside of my main working hours and generally do so at a loss.
Sponsorship revenue has been low. Clicks on the Google AdSense ads do generate a small amount so that helps us out.

I am open to hearing from members regarding some sort of alternate membership fee or income sources in order to keep this site going as I believe this is a valuable community.

Cheers
Jon
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:22 pm

Google adsens ads, reckon I have accidentally clicked on them ads about 500 times,cause the ad is so close to the view active topics buttons button.
On my mobile.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

adamk

Post by adamk » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:52 am

i donated not because of info i donated because i know what kinds of cost is involved in a website, coming from a cracking forum background where we have almost 25000 members o_0
you help where you can.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:43 am

bowl wrote:Google adsens ads, reckon I have accidentally clicked on them ads about 500 times,cause the ad is so close to the view active topics buttons button.
On my mobile.
Same.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

adamk

Post by adamk » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:53 am

4liters wrote:
bowl wrote:Google adsens ads, reckon I have accidentally clicked on them ads about 500 times,cause the ad is so close to the view active topics buttons button.
On my mobile.
Same.
? i have never seen them o_0 i can't remember all the plugging i have o_0

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:59 am

What the does o_0? , why you keep doing that.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:09 am

adamk wrote:
4liters wrote:
On my mobile.
Same.
? i have never seen them o_0 i can't remember all the plugging i have o_0
I only get them on the phone, I've got adbock running on Chrome so I don't see them at home.

Regarding the VIP issue, its benefit really depends on what people are willing to put in that section and not in the main part of the forum. The Cats' comps are fun for a bit of banter, but if you guys were to introduce a bonus like 20% off SPF stuff for VIPs and only 10% discount for regular members or something it would probably make it more popular. There might be things the site owner and mods could do to make the VIP section a bit more 'special' even if it is just leading by example and posting in there more.

On the other hand if the forum ends up going down the path of a cross the board membership fee for all members, I'd suggest making most of the forum hidden from non-members or you'd just have more people clicking through topics for information and secret spots without signing up. Making the whole forum hidden to non-members would be bad though, as would making some sections not show up on google searches, because potential members need to be able to see that what they are paying for is worthwhile.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”