Newport warmies pinkies

fishing_minnow

Re: Newport warmies pinkies

Post by fishing_minnow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:04 pm

What gear do I need for snapper/pinkie fishing? Last time I used a 7'6" rod with a SR-40 reel (I think it means 4000 size?) which is spooled with 8lb mono. I caught a 32cm pinkie on it with ease and could cast ok (maybe the fish wasn't running? idk). I wanted to know if the line I was using has too light of a breaking strain? I hear people have 30lb+. Also, what would you say about the rod? I used it to catch carp as seen in my previous posts.

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Josho wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Josho wrote:Pinkies up to 50cm
Those are not bad size for this time of the year. Nice :thumbsup:
Cast in the little chanel between the 2 rock walls, thats where ive had good success :thumbsup:
Nice bit of advise, should I fish closer or further away from the end of the rock walls?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 pm

fishing_minnow wrote:What gear do I need for snapper/pinkie fishing? Last time I used a 7'6" rod with a SR-40 reel (I think it means 4000 size?) which is spooled with 8lb mono. I caught a 32cm pinkie on it with ease and could cast ok (maybe the fish wasn't running? idk). I wanted to know if the line I was using has too light of a breaking strain? I hear people have 30lb+. Also, what would you say about the rod? I used it to catch carp as seen in my previous posts.
Where will you be mainly Fishing from mate?
Piers? Rock walls?

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:What gear do I need for snapper/pinkie fishing? Last time I used a 7'6" rod with a SR-40 reel (I think it means 4000 size?) which is spooled with 8lb mono. I caught a 32cm pinkie on it with ease and could cast ok (maybe the fish wasn't running? idk). I wanted to know if the line I was using has too light of a breaking strain? I hear people have 30lb+. Also, what would you say about the rod? I used it to catch carp as seen in my previous posts.
Piers? Rock walls?
Last time I fished was a rock wall but I would like to try off piers as well. Whatever works with my setup really. :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 pm

fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Piers? Rock walls?
Last time I fished was a rock wall but I would like to try off piers as well. Whatever works with my setup really. :)
When Fishing for snappers/pinkies lb I generally use 10 or 11ft rods with a 4-5k size reel spooled with 20 lbs braid with a 40 lbs leader :)

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Piers? Rock walls?
When Fishing for snappers/pinkies lb I generally use 10 or 11ft rods with a 4-5k size reel spooled with 20 lbs braid with a 40 lbs leader :)
Ok, thanks, would I get busted off if I continue using my current rod/line? (Would I be able to cast such a huge rod? *Insert opinion here lol)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 pm

fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Piers? Rock walls?
Ok, thanks, would I get busted off if I continue using my current rod/line? (Would I be able to cast such a huge rod? *Insert opinion here lol)
Well I would say using 8 lbs main light is too light. If you hooked onto a big red you might be in trouble. Although having said that I have landed big snappers with my whiting setup but had the drag set properly and had a bit of luck not getting spooled :rofl:
As far as casting, it’s like anything else you will get used to it. I take it you aren’t used to casting with long rods mate?

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote: Where will you be mainly Fishing from mate?
Piers? Rock walls?
Well I would say using 8 lbs main light is too light. If you hooked onto a big red you might be in trouble. Although having said that I have landed big snappers with my whiting setup but had the drag set properly and had a bit of luck not getting spooled :rofl:
As far as casting, it’s like anything else you will get used to it. I take it you aren’t used to casting with long rods mate?
Yea, I haven't really used loooooong rods that much. How about those 10ft telescopic combos they sell at Kmart? It's probably t-r-a-s-h but would that stuff work? How is it that whenever I use new reels I get so much line twist? What do u think?
Last edited by fishing_minnow on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:57 pm

fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote: Last time I fished was a rock wall but I would like to try off piers as well. Whatever works with my setup really. :)
Yea, I haven't really used loooooong rods that much. How about those 12ft telescopic combos they sell at Kmart? It's probably t-r-a-s-h but would that stuff work? How is it that whenever I use new reels I get so much line twist? What do u think?
I have never bought one of those but have never really been a fan of telescopic rods mate.
I reckon you would be better off paying a bit more and getting something decent.
Do you spool your own reels?

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote: When Fishing for snappers/pinkies lb I generally use 10 or 11ft rods with a 4-5k size reel spooled with 20 lbs braid with a 40 lbs leader :)
Yea, I haven't really used loooooong rods that much. How about those 12ft telescopic combos they sell at Kmart? It's probably t-r-a-s-h but would that stuff work? How is it that whenever I use new reels I get so much line twist? What do u think?
I have never bought one of those but have never really been a fan of telescopic rods mate.
I reckon you would be better off paying a bit more and getting something decent.
Do you spool your own reels?
Yes, I do spool my own reels but the ones I spool don't get twisted, it's the ones that are pre-spooled. Besides, I have no idea on how to spool on braid, with the backing and stuff. I'm pretty sure an FG knot will do the job but I can't seem to get the ratio right. How much backing do I need? How much braid do I need? (OCD?) *I end up going to sleep and forgetting all that just happened....... How much and what would an 'ideal' rod be? any particular brands/models? *So I can save up. :victory:

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”