Southern Port Phillip Bay

Chaba

Southern Port Phillip Bay

Post by Chaba » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi all,

I've been fishing around the Bellarine Peninsula (Clifton Springs though Portarlington to St Leonards) on my trusty 33 year old 4.5m glass half cab for the past 6 years and have had a blast pulling in many of the typical species for that area. Flatties, calamari, whiting, pinkies, and the occasional leather jacket are on the menu.

However, I recently traded up to a 6.1m plate ali boat and feel the need to explore more of the bay, and perhaps beyond.

Would there be any fishos out there that know the water south of St Leonards through to the rip well enough to give a bit of advice or, even better still, catch up for a trip?

I'm not asking for anyone to give away their best gps marks or anything like that - just asking for for advice from someone who's familiar with that stretch of water.

Thanks in advance,

Chaba.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Southern Port Phillip Bay

Post by smile0784 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Got a pic of your boat?

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi welcome to the site which ramp do you usually use I normally use point richards rd or queenscliff I find clifton springs a bit shallow at the entrance although I was there today having a look it looks pretty good with the extra wall they put in

Chaba

Post by Chaba » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:23 pm

smile0784 wrote:Got a pic of your boat?
Hi smile, I must be getting too old - I can't work out how to upload a photo! I'll have another crack tonight.

Chaba

Post by Chaba » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Nude up wrote:Hi welcome to the site which ramp do you usually use I normally use point richards rd or queenscliff I find clifton springs a bit shallow at the entrance although I was there today having a look it looks pretty good with the extra wall they put in
Cheers Nude Up. I've mainly used Pt Richards for the past few years but last time was just before they closed it for the car park upgrade they're working on at the moment. Have to say that the last few launches there re pretty dodgy - it's long overdue some dredging. Mainly using Indented Head and St Leonard's at the moment. I haven't used Clifton Springs before but have heard that it's not too bad.

Chaba

Post by Chaba » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Chaba wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Got a pic of your boat?
Hi smile, I must be getting too old - I can't work out how to upload a photo! I'll have another crack tonight.
Attachments
IMG_3925w.jpg

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Flash one and welcome

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Safety wise going threw if personal depending your experience.
Your boat can handle rough weather but its personally upto you as a captain if you go threw or not.
I been threw on a 1mt swell and the waves were moving faster then the boat but im use to crossing bars and i been threw on complete flat days so just depends on the day.

I been threw the rip at leat 8 times from mornington and dound a few gummys 40mt of barwon heads just use a reef anchor cos of reefy bottom. I lost a chain and anchor one day and learnt my lesson.

Strait outof the heads 30+mt to 45mt you can find flathead.

But been a while since a been out so things could have changed.

Going out to 60+ mt you get some reef fish and makos in summer

Chaba

Post by Chaba » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:53 pm

denis barden wrote:Flash one and welcome
Thanks Dennis.

Chaba

Post by Chaba » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 pm

smile0784 wrote:Safety wise going threw if personal depending your experience.
Your boat can handle rough weather but its personally upto you as a captain if you go threw or not.
I been threw on a 1mt swell and the waves were moving faster then the boat but im use to crossing bars and i been threw on complete flat days so just depends on the day.

I been threw the rip at leat 8 times from mornington and dound a few gummys 40mt of barwon heads just use a reef anchor cos of reefy bottom. I lost a chain and anchor one day and learnt my lesson.

Strait outof the heads 30+mt to 45mt you can find flathead.

But been a while since a been out so things could have changed.

Going out to 60+ mt you get some reef fish and makos in summer
Hey thanks for the info smile. It's always a bit daunting trying somewhere new - especially on a new boat. I'm a pretty cautious sort of bloke so will ease into it. Planning to head out around the entrance to Swan Bay tomorrow to get a bit more practice in and hopefully a bit of a feed.
Good tip about the anchor too!!
Thanks again.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”