Weekend Fishing Report

Beef_Jerky72

Weekend Fishing Report

Post by Beef_Jerky72 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Saturday morning headed off to Kilcunda for some surf fishing and an attempt with "poppers". I arrived at around 11.00am at had a look from platform above, but looked far to rough. disappointing as only 1 metre waves forecast, but more like 2.5 - 3.0.

Decided to go to Powlett River instead (packed a river rod as a back up plan).

Arrived just before lunch time, and talked to an old guy walking off who caught about 4-5 nice bream all on bass yabbies.

I wish i would have bought some prawns, but only had pippies,pilchards and standard squid packed.

Not much action for an hour or two before landing 4 or so juvenile salmon (all throwback size) in the river before things went quite quite.

Drove back to Kilcunda around 4ish and waves didnt look as threatening. So decided to give the surf fishing a 2nd chance.

In hindsight i wish i would have drove strait home, as first cast lost my rig to kelp, and then kelp, and then more kelp.

there was one other guy also catching kelp.

I got one good strike (i thought) but when i winded in it was a decent size crab !

Headed home for the night, and then sunday took the Mrs & 3 screaming kids out in the boat off Hastings.

Was targeting whiting, but in all my excitement left berley cage and berley at home. tried about 3-4 different spots with no success before rods went off for about 20 minutes.

First strike I had a double banger of flathead on my whiting rig, and then my step son brought in another, before the Mrs brought in another.

Things went quite again, so then we headed in. A few others at the boat ramp said things were quite for them as well.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Weekend Fishing Report

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun May 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Those kelp monsters are a pain, the eat rigs for breakfast, it is a mazing the affinity they have for anything mono or braid.

They rarely give an inch when they have hold of your line.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”