Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Newport warmies pinkies

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:12 pm

fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote: Ok, thanks, would I get busted off if I continue using my current rod/line? (Would I be able to cast such a huge rod? *Insert opinion here lol)
Well I would say using 8 lbs main light is too light. If you hooked onto a big red you might be in trouble. Although having said that I have landed big snappers with my whiting setup but had the drag set properly and had a bit of luck not getting spooled :rofl:
As far as casting, it’s like anything else you will get used to it. I take it you aren’t used to casting with long rods mate?
Yea, I haven't really used loooooong rods that much. How about those 12ft telescopic combos they sell at Kmart? It's probably t-r-a-s-h but would that stuff work? How is it that whenever I use new reels I get so much line twist? What do u think?
I have never bought one of those but have never really been a fan of telescopic rods mate.
I reckon you would be better off paying a bit more and getting something decent.
Do you spool your own reels?
Yes, I do spool my own reels but the ones I spool don't get twisted, it's the ones that are pre-spooled. Besides, I have no idea on how to spool on braid, with the backing and stuff. I'm pretty sure an FG knot will do the job but I can't seem to get the ratio right. How much backing do I need? How much braid do I need? (OCD?) *I end up going to sleep and forgetting all that just happened....... How much and what would an 'ideal' rod be? any particular brands/models? *So I can save up. :victory:
The way I see it, if your going to be doing a lot of fishing from now on targeting them it’s better to invest in something decent. It won’t be long also till the big ones will be around.
I usually always get some late September into October and for those ones you will be wanting to upgrade your gear.
Another option is you can always just take your reel into a tackle store and for a small cost they will spool it for you with the backing included :)
If you want a decent rod and have a tight budget, I would wait for the many sales they have and grab one then.

fishing_minnow

Post by fishing_minnow » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
fishing_minnow wrote:
Lightningx wrote: Well I would say using 8 lbs main light is too light. If you hooked onto a big red you might be in trouble. Although having said that I have landed big snappers with my whiting setup but had the drag set properly and had a bit of luck not getting spooled :rofl:
As far as casting, it’s like anything else you will get used to it. I take it you aren’t used to casting with long rods mate?
Yea, I haven't really used loooooong rods that much. How about those 12ft telescopic combos they sell at Kmart? It's probably t-r-a-s-h but would that stuff work? How is it that whenever I use new reels I get so much line twist? What do u think?
I have never bought one of those but have never really been a fan of telescopic rods mate.
I reckon you would be better off paying a bit more and getting something decent.
Do you spool your own reels?
Yes, I do spool my own reels but the ones I spool don't get twisted, it's the ones that are pre-spooled. Besides, I have no idea on how to spool on braid, with the backing and stuff. I'm pretty sure an FG knot will do the job but I can't seem to get the ratio right. How much backing do I need? How much braid do I need? (OCD?) *I end up going to sleep and forgetting all that just happened....... How much and what would an 'ideal' rod be? any particular brands/models? *So I can save up. :victory:
The way I see it, if your going to be doing a lot of fishing from now on targeting them it’s better to invest in something decent. It won’t be long also till the big ones will be around.
I usually always get some late September into October and for those ones you will be wanting to upgrade your gear.
Another option is you can always just take your reel into a tackle store and for a small cost they will spool it for you with the backing included :)
If you want a decent rod and have a tight budget, I would wait for the many sales they have and grab one then.
Awesome. Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 am

Mattblack wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Buzman610 wrote:Nice job ! What kind of rigs did you use? which technic and what kind of rods? I webt there 3 or 4 times but still no fish for me? Cheers
This was from March

Might be wrong here but pinkies spawn season in PPB is well and truly over and won't begin again until generally around September/October.

Still a chance to get them, but far less than in snapper season.
Only 74 more sleeps until Grand Final/Snapper Season kick off.... :super:
I know, dont worry I'm counting down the days until saints win a premiership and I land a 12kg red in the same weekend too

Josho

Post by Josho » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm

fishing_minnow wrote:
Josho wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Josho wrote:Pinkies up to 50cm
Those are not bad size for this time of the year. Nice :thumbsup:
Cast in the little chanel between the 2 rock walls, thats where ive had good success :thumbsup:
Nice bit of advise, should I fish closer or further away from the end of the rock walls?
Hi mate if ya take 2 rods you could have one a bit closer to the rock wall, just make sure you wont get snagged. Second rod out a bit further, you could have one paternoster rig with pillie cubes and a running rig with half pillies, i usually have about 15lb mainline and 30lb leader incase something bigger rolls in. Experiment :thumbsup:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Buzman610 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Buzman610 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Buzman610 wrote:Thanks for informations , which fish can i target actually and how?cheers
Are you lanbased or boat or bit of both mate?
actually I am Landbased
A couple you could target would be salmon and squid. Plenty of those 2 around atm :)
Thanks, I am gonna try soon, soft plastic lures for salmon? Which size about?
70mm fish /paddle tail

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”