Bait Presentation for Pier Fishing

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Alwaysloud

Bait Presentation for Pier Fishing

Post by Alwaysloud » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 pm

Hey All,

Wondering if someone can explain to me what sort of Bait Presentation I need when fishing off the pier for Snapper/bream/flathead/travelly/leather jack... etc.

How should my bait be presented on a 1/0 2/0 hook size ?. The bait i am thinking of using is Bluebait/whitebait/prawns/calamari - should I use filleted strips of the above baits on my hook or chunks obviously not large fileted pieces or chunks but say 3/4 of the filleted bait? wondering what works best for pier fishing ?.

Thanks in advance.

SFP Chick

Re: Bait Presentation for Pier Fishing

Post by SFP Chick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum :grin:

I think the answers to your question depend on a few things worth considering.

For instance, if you're using a paternoster rig you will need to consider that you don't want your bait to spin in the current. In this case I would go for a chunk, but be sure to locate the hook in the dead centre of the bait. It should then sit nicely in the current.

I don't think there is as much to consider if you are using a running sinker to the hook. Because your bait will sit on the bottom anyway.

Lastly, weather to fillet or chunk does also depends on what the fish seem to be taking on the day. From my experience there are no real hard and fast rules. Try one way, if that doesn't work change to another way.

I think being flexible within the one fishing session is a good mindset to have. Find something that works then stick with that until the bite drops off. Then change it up again, or make a move.

There are no hard and fast rules that's for sure.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Amanda

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Not really fussed put the bait on securely, and the fish will eat it.

Small filleted pieces or chunks work well especially in a current, chunks will probably last longer.

If you are casting far chunks will not fall off.

joey

Post by joey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:25 pm

Depending on how hard and far you are casting, you can also use bait mate to secure the bait.

Return to “Bait”