Tell me about fishing for gars

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Tell me about fishing for gars

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Kenle wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:21 am
Nice fat juicey gars mate, and decent flatty too as bonus. Small gars my favourite bait for snappers but I usually just scoop them at night in weedy shallows like some already mentioned. I'm landbase so not sure how they go during the day but I know best bait for them are silverfish, maggots or even Flathead meat. I was on a charter once and we stumbled across a big school of gars and we just flicked unweighted bits of Flathead meat on a size 8 long shank out and was pulling them out every second. Ended up with over 100 big gars. This was over 10 years ago and it wasn't even in the shallows or near weeds, just out in the open waters. Cheers for sharing mate :tu:
I’ve found a bit of fresh flatty can make all the difference some days when they are sitting in the burley trail being finicky. I like to anchor, and let the float drift back in the burley trail behind the boat about 20m or so, then reel it in and do it over and over again. I’m a big fan of a moving bait.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:57 pm

Man, its just like fishing for bream!!
get a cup of caramel latte, or whatever the hell flavour you prefer. cast out a bream hard body, i recommend the atomic crank in shallow and just slow roll it on the surface and bangggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!
should have your bag in minutes...

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:57 pm
get a cup of caramel latte, or whatever the hell flavour you prefer. cast out a bream hard body, i recommend the atomic crank in shallow and just slow roll it on the surface and bangggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!
This is the garfish thread, not the finding blokes to root in docklands on a Saturday night thread
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
This is the garfish thread, not the finding blokes to root in docklands on a Saturday night thread
pardon me i misread the title as fishing for guys :rf: :rf: :rf:

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:09 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm
4liters wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
pardon me i misread the title as fishing for guys :rf: :rf: :rf:
I guess you only see what you want to
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Okay i can help firstly wrong bait wrong burley and wrong size hook,s beside,s that your doing okay.mix bread crumbs with water and tuna oil so it,s like a light sand mix will disperes easy when it hits the water.Hook, size 12 or 14 fly fishing longshank i like the 14.Bait maggots or silverfish .Burley up heavy when first arriving at fishing spot once they come only burley a little every now and then just to keep them hanging around and use float stoppers on your rig so you can find what depth there feeding at i wrote a long article a little while ago when some one was asking the same question,s

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:19 pm

Interesting a few people have mentioned silverfish. The guy at the tackle shop told me silverfish were great as long as they were the tiny ones. He said for some reason the bigger ones cut into small pieces never worked very well for him.

Sounds like dispersal of the burley might be one of the issues, with my mix being too thick perhaps.

Based on what people have mentioned I'll make up a couple of batches for the weekend - I'll try my idea of putting the chook pellets in the food processor to see if that gets a nice fine mix (mainly because I have 3/4 of a 10kg bag of chook pellets sitting around in the shed and I'd prefer to find a way to make them work if possible), and I'll grab some breadcrumbs and mix with a little oil (I'm sure the gars don't know the difference between tuna oil and sardine oil).

I'll also try a few different baits. I couldn't get maggots at Trelly's but I'll shoot CA Geelong a message and see if they have any. I've got squid, and if I get a flatty I'll give that a crack too.

Sunday is looking quite manageable for fishing the same place as last time so I'll have a crack and see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses so far, I appreciate it.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 pm

4L - Assuming you will be fishing them as dead baits, if some of the gars you are catching are too big for your liking, you can always run a fillet off them or butterfly them. Just a thought mate...

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:54 pm
4L - Assuming you will be fishing them as dead baits, if some of the gars you are catching are too big for your liking, you can always run a fillet off them or butterfly them. Just a thought mate...
Ideally they'll be livies actually, but they do make excellent dead baits as they swim really well with a chin weight. I guess it's the long sinuous body that gives the dead gars a bit more action than a more compact fish like a dead yakka.

The next kayak has a livewell so I'm thinking of doing trips where the first hour or so on the water will be chasing gars and/or squid (might need a divider for the bait tank as I highly doubt those two will make happy housemates!) before heading out wider looking for kings. I've got no issue using the big ones but the smaller ones seem to be more likely to be inhaled in one gulp which I assume will give a better hookup rate.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:12 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:19 pm
Interesting a few people have mentioned silverfish. The guy at the tackle shop told me silverfish were great as long as they were the tiny ones. He said for some reason the bigger ones cut into small pieces never worked very well for him.

Sounds like dispersal of the burley might be one of the issues, with my mix being too thick perhaps.

Based on what people have mentioned I'll make up a couple of batches for the weekend - I'll try my idea of putting the chook pellets in the food processor to see if that gets a nice fine mix (mainly because I have 3/4 of a 10kg bag of chook pellets sitting around in the shed and I'd prefer to find a way to make them work if possible), and I'll grab some breadcrumbs and mix with a little oil (I'm sure the gars don't know the difference between tuna oil and sardine oil).

I'll also try a few different baits. I couldn't get maggots at Trelly's but I'll shoot CA Geelong a message and see if they have any. I've got squid, and if I get a flatty I'll give that a crack too.

Sunday is looking quite manageable for fishing the same place as last time so I'll have a crack and see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses so far, I appreciate it.
Dude forget the squid and flatty,s give them what they like maggot,s and silverfish. Do you fish for trout with pilchard,s no they dont like them pm me i will run you threw it

Return to “Bait”