How do you bait your pilchard for snapper?

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

How do you bait your pilchard for snapper?

Post by Mattblack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:52 pm

I read something recently (from NZ) where they said snapper prefer 1/2 a pilchard rather than a whole one.....and preferably the tail.
Depending on what rig I'm using, I use a whole pillie or the 1/2 with the head...Just wondering how you guys present your pilchards when targeting snapper.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: How do you bait your pilchard for snapper?

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

for when ive fished bait before, its always been small whole pillies on a 2 hook rig with a small ball running sinker

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm

When the big fish are around, I use a whole pillie. Pass the hook through the eyes and keep pulling line through. Then pass the hook through the tail end. Back at the head end I take two half hitched around the head behind the gills.
Small fish around. Just a piece of pillie on the hook. Also use a piece of squid for the small ones.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:46 pm

re-tyred wrote:When the big fish are around, I use a whole pillie. Pass the hook through the eyes and keep pulling line through. Then pass the hook through the tail end. Back at the head end I take two half hitched around the head behind the gills.
Small fish around. Just a piece of pillie on the hook. Also use a piece of squid for the small ones.
So just the one hook like this?
spottedmackrig.jpg
spottedmackrig.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 3385 times

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Small fish small piece. If the fish are being picky or not grabbing it. Pillie fillets work a treat. Gummies and flatties love it also. Big fish whole pillie same as re-tyred. Make sure plenty of point is showing. Or the the secret weapon the squid pillie condom! :rofl:

Mattblack

Post by Mattblack » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm

Hosery wrote:Small fish small piece. If the fish are being picky or not grabbing it. Pillie fillets work a treat. Gummies and flatties love it also. Big fish whole pillie same as re-tyred. Make sure plenty of point is showing. Or the the secret weapon the squid pillie condom! :rofl:
This actually comes up when you google squid pillie condom! :rofl:
spc.png
spc.png (468.51 KiB) Viewed 3352 times

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Similar to Purple - but try to keep the hooks straighter along the backbone similar to this.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Mattblack wrote:
re-tyred wrote:When the big fish are around, I use a whole pillie. Pass the hook through the eyes and keep pulling line through. Then pass the hook through the tail end. Back at the head end I take two half hitched around the head behind the gills.
So just the one hook like this?
spottedmackrig.jpg
Yes like that. With a couple of half hitches around the head. if you don't put the half hitches the head slides down and it looks like a pilchard banana .
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Snelled suicides , bottom hook through under the gill, top hook bit higher up through the lateral line of the pilchard, with a half hitch around the tail. ( with the line between the hooks not tight so the bait doesn't rip apart or spin etc) or a whole pillie basically with the head cut off so the scent is released quicker with a single circle hook through lateral line half hitch- they've worked for me with gummies and pinkies :)

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:20 pm

How many ways can you skin a cat...
The key is plenty of hook exposure. Do not bury the hooks in your baits. A snapper will hit the head or gut section of a pillie/sand whiting, so this is where you want your hooks placed. I always fish 2-hook rigs.

Return to “Bait”