How do you bait your pilchard for snapper?

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: How do you bait your pilchard for snapper?

Post by Scraglor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Redhunter wrote:How many ways can you skin a cat...
The key is plenty of hook exposure. Do not bury the hooks in your baits. A snapper will hit the head or gut section of a pillie/sand whiting, so this is where you want your hooks placed. I always fish 2-hook rigs.
This, 100% this. The amount of times I use to get a hit, pull my whole pilly in and have a big circular bite out of the mid section of my pilly, and miss the hook up because I had the second hook too far down the pilly. Now I do one in the head, one in the middle of the pilly, and a half hitch around the tail. Lots of different ways to rig up that all work, but thats my favourite.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:59 pm

so landbased do you guys use a paternoster rig or still the same

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:10 pm

dazz999 wrote:so landbased do you guys use a paternoster rig or still the same
Maybe, maybe not...A rig is simply a way to present a bait. Rigs should be custom made to present a certain bait in a certain environment, at a certain depth. All rigs vary dependant upon application. Try to use your noggin my friend, and "think" about it :)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:23 pm

My preferred rig is the two hook snelled then no need for half hitch to prevent the bait curling up. I always take the head off to allow the guts to leach out acting like it's own burley

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Nude up wrote:My preferred rig is the two hook snelled then no need for half hitch to prevent the bait curling up. I always take the head off to allow the guts to leach out acting like it's own burley
The secret rig! :rofl:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:01 pm

tuna tube wrote:
Nude up wrote:My preferred rig is the two hook snelled then no need for half hitch to prevent the bait curling up. I always take the head off to allow the guts to leach out acting like it's own burley
Combine that with a surefire; no questions asked; definitely in business; sharpen those filleting knives; secret big red spot, and there will be no hungry bellies that night ;)

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Redhunter wrote:
tuna tube wrote:
Combine that with a surefire; no questions asked; definitely in business; sharpen those filleting knives; secret big red spot, and there will be no hungry bellies that night ;)
After 12 hours off catching nothing you .might as well head straight to tbe sure fire ,never miss,never not caught a gummy ,ectra special secret spot.

After all..whats another 2 hrs ont top off 12.

Return to “Bait”