Bass Yabbies

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
rustychuck

Bass Yabbies

Post by rustychuck » Tue May 02, 2017 11:42 am

I love to use these fresh and alive but sometimes this is not an option, such as for me this weekend.
So I have two methods that I use so that I can still use them as bait.
1. This is as simple as freezing the live Yabbies in the salt water from where they were collected. Then use the Yabbies as they thaw out for best results.
image.jpeg
2. Some of you will saw no way to this method but this is actually my preferred method as the yabbies becomes very firm and does not fall off the hook. Place the live Yabbies on paper towel and soak up as much moisture as possible from the yabbies. Next submerge the Yabbies in metho for around 15minutes ensuring they are fully covered. Then again place the Yabbies in paper towel and soak up the metho, then place in a snap lock bag and freeze. I have caught 40cm+ bream using this method.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I will be doing a blog post about using these this weekend and will post next week.
Cheers Rusty
http://www.rustyschucksfishingandsports.com

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Bass Yabbies

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 02, 2017 12:21 pm

excellent info mate, im sure some of our members are going to benefit from this.
just out of curiosity though. when you soak the yabbies in metho, does it make the bait toxic?? as in will the fish die from eating the bait if the fish somehow busted you off and escaped?
also any side effects to the humans consuming the fish caught with this bait preparation method?

rustychuck

Post by rustychuck » Tue May 02, 2017 12:25 pm

No none that I know of, most of the metho is actually drained and soaked out. This is also a similar method used to cure sandworm.

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Tue May 02, 2017 12:47 pm

I used to use that metho method on beach worms when I lived in northern NSW. Used to give them a quick dip in metho which would toughen them up. It never deterred the fish whiting bream jews salmon dart all would still take the worms

spyderfuji

Post by spyderfuji » Tue May 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Great info mate! thanks for sharing, wonder if the same method can apply to other frozen bait - pilly, pipi/mussle

rustychuck

Post by rustychuck » Tue May 02, 2017 1:48 pm

spyderfuji wrote:Great info mate! thanks for sharing, wonder if the same method can apply to other frozen bait - pilly, pipi/mussle
Pilly are best salted to make them go the extra yards, not sure on the others.

Return to “Bait”