slugs and snails

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Tomcat1

slugs and snails

Post by Tomcat1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm just curious since it seems every time it rains where i live it seems like some old horror movie like "Attack Of The Snails" if slugs or snails might make good bait for any type of fish? If anyone has ever tried them for bait please let me know how they worked. We use to use slugs for catfish bait back in the USA but wondering if they might do well here for bait.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: slugs and snails

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 am

snails are good bait. haven't tried slugs. Sea cucumbers dont usually get eaten by fish (though some fish may go for it) so I guess slugs are not good tasting. :-)
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:07 pm

what fish are snails good bait for? Never even thought of using them or how to bait a hook with them. kinda interested now....

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm

ChrisD wrote:what fish are snails good bait for? Never even thought of using them or how to bait a hook with them. kinda interested now....
are you serious?

fresh water snails or land based snails are gun bait for fresh water and salt water species. It's like using abalone guts as bait. The problem is, when they die, they quickly stink and "melt". Put salt on them and they spit out all the water in their bodies and die.

On baiting, I remember I had issues issues baiting a hook with pipies too until I started throwing the shells away. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Hermet crabs are one of the best salt water bait you can use if you can find enough of them. Just dont forget to evict them out of their apartments before attaching them to the hook. :roflmao: :roflmao: and the easiest way to do it is by using a lighter and heat up the end of the shell a bit.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:57 pm

My father used to use garden snails for whiting bait off Cowes pier, when he was a young bloke. They stay on the hook pretty good if you pin them thru the foot (body part that's usually outside the shell).

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Well there you go, you learn something new eveyday.
With the amount of snails around my place, looks like i have a good source of bait that I have been missing out on.
Will certainly have to give them a go at some stage.
Thanks for the heads up.

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:51 pm

woooooooo, lots of snails enough for a fishing trip? Your plants must be struggling to grow these days. Salt and detergent will stop them on their tracks.

Agree with Brett. Pin them on the hard part that they use for crawling. If they die in the morning, they will stink by afternoon. Leave them under the sun dead and they will dry up like bird poop - that fast.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

andyk

Post by andyk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 am

Snails are great for eels

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 pm

My mate caught a thumper yellowbelly on a big leopard coloured slug years ago, and I have caught redfin and carp on the ones that I had used when I was desperate for bait. Another mate said that snails are a gun bait for trout, and eels.

I experimented with garden snails whilst rockfishing at Sorrento, the rock species went crazy over them when introduced in a berley trail. The good thing about saltwater, is that it stopped the snails from sliming my hands, so I will definitely use snails again.

Rob

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:28 am

well guess i will give them a try one day when i am in need of bait lol

Return to “Bait”