Soft crabs

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Soft crabs

Post by 4liters » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Those muddy areas near mangroves are full of little crabs, not sure if it would be legal but one of those little mesh bait traps might catch a few.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 am

Similar..it was old car tyres in the Tyne..half buried, perfect hiding place for them.
Other than that, look under rocks and ledges near the high tide mark, they tend to hide up as far as they can to avoid predation during their shedding phase.[/quote]

Same mud and similar levels of crap in the river I reckon. Nice eco friendly trapping with car tyres, still its recycling I suppose. :-D
Dumb question but do you still get those dodgy octopus in muddy areas?
Cast, catch and put it back

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:47 pm

dezza68 wrote:Similar..it was old car tyres in the Tyne..half buried, perfect hiding place for them.
Other than that, look under rocks and ledges near the high tide mark, they tend to hide up as far as they can to avoid predation during their shedding phase.
Same mud and similar levels of crap in the river I reckon. Nice eco friendly trapping with car tyres, still its recycling I suppose. :-D
Dumb question but do you still get those dodgy octopus in muddy areas?[/quote]
Where you get crabs, you'll get occies..crab potters hate them, occies slip into the pot, bite the crab, suck the life out of it, slip back out..all you get in the pot is an empty shell..

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:07 pm

CarlG wrote:
dezza68 wrote:Similar..it was old car tyres in the Tyne..half buried, perfect hiding place for them.
Other than that, look under rocks and ledges near the high tide mark, they tend to hide up as far as they can to avoid predation during their shedding phase.
Dumb question but do you still get those dodgy octopus in muddy areas?
Where you get crabs, you'll get occies..crab potters hate them, occies slip into the pot, bite the crab, suck the life out of it, slip back out..all you get in the pot is an empty shell..[/quote]

Me going mad, I was meaning those blue ringed ones, but of course what self respecting octopus is going to be sitting in a trap waiting for me when the tides gone out. Doh!
Cast, catch and put it back

Return to “Bait”