Sabiki rigs good for landbased/piers?

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Sabiki rigs good for landbased/piers?

Post by Scraglor » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:54 am

ducky wrote:Yeah I emailed fisheries about it cos I was using them for yakkas for ages. No you can't bait up a bait jig.

Have long since gone to a single hook rig for bait collection though.
I have found the rigs I use for whiting to be fine for bait collection in WPB. The cowenyoung and slimeys cause enough greif running through lines as soon as you get one on, let alone having multiple on at once.

Are there better rigs to use at the bait shop?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Sabiki rigs good for landbased/piers?

Post by ducky » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:36 am

Yeah I either use the same gear I'd use for whiting. 1 of 2 rigs depending on what leader I grab first haha.

For lighter leaders(10-15lb) I do a single hook paternoster rig. I snip the tagless dropper loop and use 2 small red beads and a kl circle hook.

For heavier leaders (15lb plus) I do a tagless dropper loop for the sinker and run the hook at the end. Kind of like your classic wpb gummy rig but without a swivel or easy rig. If the line is any lighter twists can be a nightmare. I have always wondered about making a small version of the gummy rig to avoid line twist but never done anything about it haha. I run a 6-7m leader on these outfits so I just retie when needed. Takes all of 30 seconds.

I think I'm going to experiment with 25lb fluro. Not cos you need the thickness for the fish. More to avoid line twists and stuff after your 15th yakka for the day has been punched by the seal.

Return to “Bait”