Atlantic Salmon

Pilchards, Garfish, Berley, Whitebait, Fresh Squid, Tuna Oil, Chicken, etc
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Atlantic Salmon

Post by 4liters » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 pm

Was wondering if anyone had any experience using Atlantic salmon as bait. The local fish shop almost always has a bowl of offcuts and bones which I've used for berley before but recently I thought I'd try some of the chunkier bits as bait. Nothing went for it today and yesterday but nothing went for anything I offered so it probably isn't such a good indication of it's effectiveness as bait. It seems like the sort of smelly, oily bait that a gummy might go for or something.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Atlantic Salmon

Post by ducky » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:52 pm

A mate of mine slides out the occasional head chasing toothies.

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:34 am

There was an old geezer at Mornington pier who used to use atlantic salmon offcuts for bait. He always used a centerpin reel and rod and fish unweighted baits and do quite well on all the usual suspects(mackeral, trevally, garfish, pinkies, leatherjacket, couta, salmon flathead etc). I used to fish next to him quite a bit but haven't seen him since the pier had its 'shortening'. First time I saw him using salmon, I asked him if he was using carrot for bait haha
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Larksy88

Post by Larksy88 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:04 pm

cant see why it wouldnt work. Flathead will eat just about anything and im sure the pinkies would eat it too

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Yeah, I definitely plan on trying it more in the future, it's much cheaper than frozen baits, stays on the hooks better than the frozen baits I've tried and is technically food grade so it is no doubt fresher than most of the crap you find in tackle shop freezers. Takes the sea lice a while to chomp through it too; other than the lack of fish I was pretty happy with it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:10 pm

you could always try to stink some of it up more as well, marinade it in a little tuna oil or curry powder (i've never used it, but I know a couple of chicken fisho's who swear by it).

Return to “Bait”