Re: Slimy mackerel

Post by Nude up » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Friday is looking good for me at cape woolami

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:38 am

Nude up wrote:Friday is looking good for me at cape woolami
Hey Nude,

how's Cape Woolamai been so far? haven't fished there in a while, but the father in law goes their regularly but hasn't been in a while. Usually trek from the car park to the rocks and fish off the rocks, or sometimes hike over the birdlings flats? (If it's still there)

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:11 pm

cheaterparts wrote: Normally Yakkas aren't hard to find around Reef Island to dickeys bay - I just scrunch up an old pilly or saury in the water by hand and let the crumbs float down through the current
Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try next time I head to Reef Island. Is there any particular depth or location they seem to prefer?

Cheers,

Mike.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm

mingle wrote:Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try next time I head to Reef Island. Is there any particular depth or location they seem to prefer?

Cheers,

Mike.
not really - but off the front of RI is as good a place to start
I have caught them out the front of the bass river on the sand patchs while whiting hunting
along the weed line out the front of bluff rd and most other spots I whiting fish around there

once you have a school of them around a small amount of berley with hold them there while you catch them
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 am

What is the best way to use a Slimy as bait? Is it small strips of it on something like a 1/0 if you're after anything like pinkies, flathead, trevally, sambos etc. got a fair few in the freezer atm i wanted to use as bait.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 15, 2016 5:10 am

Heaps of ways mate. Use them whole for snapper and gummys depending on size. Or fillet them and cut them into strips. Or you can just cut them up into chunks to whatever size fits best on the hooks you're using for whatever fish you're targeting..

I'd be salting them though if they aren't fresh. After slimeys have been frozen then defrosted they are really soft.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sun May 15, 2016 7:47 am

DougieK wrote:Any thoughts on fishing for them land based? specifically from a WP rock ledge?
I make my own up using foil from inside of crisp packets. I tie them on 40lb line and use them with a 2oz sinker and my lightest surf rod. They are deadly off the rocks. Really fun if you get a salmon school go through.
Cast, catch and put it back

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Sun May 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Heaps of ways mate. Use them whole for snapper and gummys depending on size. Or fillet them and cut them into strips. Or you can just cut them up into chunks to whatever size fits best on the hooks you're using for whatever fish you're targeting..

I'd be salting them though if they aren't fresh. After slimeys have been frozen then defrosted they are really soft.
Will do, give em a salting tonight. Any limit to what you can catch with mackerel? I reckon it would be a gun bait, oily and bloody. Even though it's frozen should still let of quite alot of scent and a trail.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Like you said, due to the fact it's very oily and bloody, I know that snappers absolutely love it :) have used it many times before in the past and have done very well with it :)

simon2g

Post by simon2g » Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 am

Got 6 decent sized fillets salted down, ready for a trip this week.
Can't wait to get out and wet a line soon, haven't been able to get out as much lately been limited to maybe once a fortnight

Return to “Bait”