Yarra River Yellowtail Kingfish

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
Froggie

Re: Yarra River Yellowtail Kingfish

Post by Froggie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:08 pm

Wow!!!!! Yellowtail Kingfish !!!!!! :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:

At Yarra River :a_goodjob:

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Fish-Hunter wrote:
rb85 wrote:On an Alvey?
What else would you use on Australia Day? none other than an Aussie made Alvey, Remember "It's the Alvey Reel that fills the Creel" :cheers:
What model alvey is that by the way ? looks beefy..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:54 pm

► Show Spoiler
hornet wrote:what model alvey is that by the way ? looks beefy..
Its the alvey 650E5, my favourite landbased Snapper, Mulloway, Salmon etc reel, the direct wind "E" series with smooth drag.

You can easily control big fish e.g snagging you or lift em up onto the rocks, as the handles are directly attached to the spool, the brakes can be applied instantly stopping a big Snapper taking you into a snag or when it wants to run just release your grip off the power handle & the smooth drag takes over "Best of both".

http://alvey.com.au/product-category/rock-range/

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Thx I thought it look familiar, what are your thoughts on the rock hopper with the plastic ? back...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

adamk

Post by adamk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:11 pm

yeah kings go up the yarra seen them where i normaly go as for gummys i have heard that too from have fished the system for 20 years

bilby

Post by bilby » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 pm

I gave it a shot tonight in Docklands after work - spinning and walking and looking for telltale "swooshes". No luck ... but they are out there somewhere! I don't know how my 30lb braid would hold up if I did hook up anyway around all that structure. No one else seemed to be catching anything tonight either.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 pm

Good on ya for having a try

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Firstly, I've never fished Docklands, but from what I've seen about the place, very few people have deliberately set out to target kingies there. Most hook ups seem to have been accidental.

There's probably two approaches that would give you a chance. The first would be to be mobile and look for any activity and then try and tempt them using a stick bait or even a surface popper.

The second approach would be to find structure that would that will provide shade (underneath boat hulls etc) and also have numbers of bait fish around it. I would perhaps start there and use burley to attract small bait fish into feeding activity. Also try to catch some of the bait fish to use as live bait. Once you have small bait fish actively feeding there is a chance that kingies will be drawn to the scene. Fish a live bait under a small float of some kind (a large bobby cork, small balloon or something similar) and fish the bait just a little way beyond any school of bait fish that are feeding.

As I mentioned at the start of this reply I haven't fished Docklands but those two methods have worked for me at other locations.

Good luck with it!
:water:

bilby

Post by bilby » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 am

Tick and tick. Have tried those methods (minus the live bait - will try this next). I did see the effects of a big one coming to the top last week - I threw a popper at it for 15 minutes, but no action.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”