My first Victorian Kingies!!!

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: My first Victorian Kingies!!!

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am

MsShimano wrote:
rb85 wrote:Having fun is the most important thing. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford, been given a boat to use or are blessed with good health.

Then there's the capability of crew members to consider preferably I'd rather take mates out who are just happy to be there and are wrapped with a few flatty and find my own fish over following the reports.

The kingies have been about in that area for months. Did you go solo or have a crew.
Kingies have been around there for months, yes i agree.. but people still have had trouble catching them. Even though they are a curious fish, they are still very picky and stubborn. Out of 4 attempts for the kingies, i was finally successful this trip.
I used my gummy rig with 8/0 stinger hooks. I trolled around at very slow speed live squid. It didnt take long until i was hooked. That is the way i found it worked best for me.
I went with one other person.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:06 am

MsShimano wrote:
rb85 wrote:Having fun is the most important thing. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to afford, been given a boat to use or are blessed with good health.

Then there's the capability of crew members to consider preferably I'd rather take mates out who are just happy to be there and are wrapped with a few flatty and find my own fish over following the reports.

The kingies have been about in that area for months. Did you go solo or have a crew.
Kingies have been around there for months, yes i agree.. but people still have had trouble catching them. Even though they are a curious fish, they are still very picky and stubborn. Out of 4 attempts for the kingies, i was finally successful this trip.
I used my gummy rig with 8/0 stinger hooks. I trolled around at very slow speed live squid. It didnt take long until i was hooked. That is the way i found it worked best for me.
often I fish by myself when I go out for kingies.

if you take somebody they really should be calable off doing everything...like driving the boat when you have a fish on .

bm

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 pm

barra mick wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

if you take somebody they really should be calable off doing everything...like driving the boat when you have a fish on .

bm

Well i always go with someone, especially if im heading offshore. I dont like fishing by my self for kingies. I need someone to drive the boat for trolling so i can keep an eye on the rods.. Especially to navigate the boat away from structures (piers etc) when ive got a fish hooked. provides for some good company too!
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:17 pm

MsShimano wrote:
barra mick wrote:
MsShimano wrote:

bm

Well i always go with someone, especially if im heading offshore. I dont like fishing by my self for kingies. I need someone to drive the boat for trolling so i can keep an eye on the rods.. Especially to navigate the boat away from structures (piers etc) when ive got a fish hooked. provides for some good company too!
agree there ms Shimano. ....but often my two or 3 skilled fishing mates are busy and its better than not going or going with someone you have to babysit

cheers bm

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:25 pm

I don't mind taking less experienced mates and teaching them as long as they listen and learn a few lost fish don't hurt. What frustrates me is wannabe no alls who come on board and don't shut up safe to say they don't get a second invite haven't had many.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:40 pm

rb85 wrote:I don't mind taking less experienced mates and teaching them as long as they listen and learn a few lost fish don't hurt. What frustrates me is wannabe no alls who come on board and don't shut up safe to say they don't get a second invite haven't had many.
im all good in port phillip bay ect taking mates out but not serious stuff.

Its not for the faint hearted.

cheers bm

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:52 pm

barra mick wrote:
rb85 wrote:I don't mind taking less experienced mates and teaching them as long as they listen and learn a few lost fish don't hurt. What frustrates me is wannabe no alls who come on board and don't shut up safe to say they don't get a second invite haven't had many.
im all good in port phillip bay ect taking mates out but not serious stuff.

Its not for the faint hearted.

cheers bm
I have taken green anglers for makos just don't put a bait in until we see how big the shark is.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”