The rip today 31st

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

The rip today 31st

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Arrived at Sorrrento boat ramp and it was nearly empty, Did I get the forecast wrong??

It was a little breezy that made drifting for squid a bit hard, we managed one and gave up as we were drftinb too fast,

The rip was a little lumpy with the occasional bit of white water, nearly ran over the divers orange bouy that was hidden between the swell,

We trolled a few lures looking for a bust up, but there were hardly any birds around, then tried a few drifts jigging, even though there were promising signs on the sounder (Until it quit and went black).

Put the squid down and something promptly ripped the head off, leaving the body to be chewed apart by leather jackets.

Headed to the first red channel marker to try for more squid only to have my anchor jammed, on something on the bottom, it took a few different tactics to free it, I wasn't too keen on cutting the rope and loosing another anchor and this time chain.

We headed back to the rip to give it another go and luckily I gaffer taped the gap between the front clears and windscreen as we copped a few waves over the front, Not having a sounder we headed back to the boat ramp. Sadly tommorrow looks like the pick of the bunch weather wise.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: The rip today 31st

Post by Nude up » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Bad luck me and tuna tube are heading that way tomorrow launching out of queenscliff if nothing doing at the heads we will run offshore somewhere down past barwon heads should pick up a feed some where. Although the trim switch fo my motor is playing up on the throttle it will trim down not up. Did a bit of bussing the wires its definitely the switch will have to get a new one luckily the trim switch on the motor still works so its not a big issue.

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:11 am

That's some bad luck Wolly looks like the boat ramp was telling you something
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 am

Bad luck mate. Better luck next time :thumbsup:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:43 pm

A day to early. Went off today with the better weather