Is 5 Kingfish at 60cm per person per day to many ?

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.

Kingfish Poll

YES
76%
NO
24%

Total votes: 42

col1
Has liked: 9 times

Re: Is 5 Kingfish at 60cm per person per day to many ?

Post by col1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Surely 2 or 3 60+ fish is enough that's a lot of fillets, while we're at it I'd like to see flattie and pinkie minimum's increased as well not much meat on either of those at that size

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:12 pm

col1 wrote:Surely 2 or 3 60+ fish is enough that's a lot of fillets, while we're at it I'd like to see flattie and pinkie minimum's increased as well not much meat on either of those at that size
I am with you on pinkie and flatly limits,they should be 30 cm at least

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:17 pm

hornet wrote:Do we want to lose this fishery as we once did many years ago through over fishing ?
Limit is 5 a day per angler minimum size 60cm that's a lot of flesh.
Do we need a limit such as our Bluefin have ? 1 per day / angler
Is 1 kingfish per angler at 60cm enough for a feed ?
A charter boat with 4 anglers can legally catch 20 kingies per day... excessive ?

http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/fisheries ... l-kingfish
you are probably asking the wrong people --- why not ask fisheries they are the one that do the science and also the ones that set the bag limits

1 fish for many would be plenty however someone that only fishs once a year could quite easy find 5 fish ok ' at the current bag limits are king stocks reducing or getting better - Fisheries must think it is sustainable at 5 fish per day if it wasn't they would reduce the bag

now if you banned all fishing from motor boats that would work much better for fish stocks - I doubt I'll ever get my bag chasing them by kayak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Nude up wrote:
col1 wrote:Surely 2 or 3 60+ fish is enough that's a lot of fillets, while we're at it I'd like to see flattie and pinkie minimum's increased as well not much meat on either of those at that size
don't know just size flatty fillets are a good size snapper bait -- snapper love it and the picker don't get it off the hook as quick as other bait
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:24 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Nude up wrote:
don't know just size flatty fillets are a good size snapper bait -- snapper love it and the picker don't get it off the hook as quick as other bait
I have never had any luck with flathead fillets for bait it would be the last thing I would use they taste so good

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Why decrease the bag only now? The fishery is better now than it's been in decades, and only getting better (thanks to a crack down on the pros as 4L has already mentioned). This doesn't mean they're easy to catch though. 5 is fine, however 25 between 5 anglers on a boat is excessive. Boat limits need to be implemented...

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Nude up wrote:2 a day is plenty if you are lucky enough to hit a purple patch let them go there fighting ability is way up there, the more fish more people will get a chance to have a crack
x2.
Last time we hit them up, we only kept 2 between 3 of us, that was tons.
All the others went back.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:31 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Nude up wrote:
They can make great snapper baits agreed. I've also found that a small piece can also help bring gars unstuck when they are a little finicky too.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:39 pm

2 should be plenty for a feed

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Personally I would keep enough to eat fresh therefore 1 maybe 2 I don't see the need to change limits unless fisheries science suggests it should.

Charlie Micallef stated on a Facebook page about lobbying fisheries for restrictions on large female gummies. The big girls are breeders but the gummy shark population isn't at threat so i disagree with him unless fisheries foresee a reason based on science not passion to place further restrictions.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”