Welshpool Kings

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Welshpool Kings

Post by scott__henning » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Despite the ordinary weather forecast, I decided Sunday was going to be a fishing day, and coincidentally I got a message from mazman, who was keen to have a crack at the kings and wanted a bit of info. I thought, stuff it, wanna come out on Sunday. Unsurprisingly, he was all too happy to take up the offer.

We launched around 8am in windy conditions, and headed out to a fishy area where I had found kings the week before.

Sure enough, there they were once more, and we had some fun on small stickbaits, managing a few just undersize kings.

After they quietened down, the wind began to pick up from the SW, so I decided offshore was the go for the day which was the plan all along. In the shade of the Prom it was reasonably sheltered, so I changed tack a bit and chose not to head out to cliffy, rather search the rocky edges of the prom for kings.

With an x-rap and skirts out, it didn't take long to find a school, and we pulled everything in, turning to stickbaits and poppers for an hour or two of catching rat kingies and salmon mixed in together, holding on a bommie in 8m of water. They were particularly vicious, fighting over the lures we were presenting, and I'm told mazman got some great footage of the surface explosions. Hopefully he can put some of it together and post here as well.
2.jpg
When they too quietened down, I figured we might as well have a crack at a gummy, and rustled up a nice 4 footer in no time at all on fresh salmon.

With the wind picking up, we headed back inside through the washing machine that was 5-ways, and had another crack at the kings from earlier in the morning. Once again, we picked up a few straight away, and finally managed a size kingie for mazman in the photo below.
1.jpg
All in all, a pretty good day considering the wind was up, it was a shame we couldn't find some bigger models but there is plenty of time for that!

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Welshpool Kings

Post by poodoo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Nice one Scott!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Nice work scott its on my list of fishing spots this year welshpool am fishing hazelwood wed so maybe next week

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Well done Scott :cheers:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:26 pm

:a_goodjob:

Nice!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 am

Great report Scott well done.

Lightningx