Trolling for Kingies

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Re: Trolling for Kingies

Post by barra mick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:10 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Nude up wrote:What are you planning to troll, I like a combination of xrap 30, s and 20, s with I williamson popper shotgun . This year I am going to troll the witchdoctor as well. Tides good for the heads but the wind is a shocker
Going to give a few cod lures ago, and I have Ritchers, I made my own attractor.
stump jumpers may work ok
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:53 pm

My williamson popper has been great no problems but I have had a few problems with the xraps corroding internally I returned one to rapala last year the corrosion was that bad not sure if using them on the downrigger knackered them. I have bought some stainless sreel jet heads to troll for kingies but I am running out of time easytow rang me my trailer will be ready monday next week and I am off to bermie for 10 days the 5th of march

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:52 am

I havnt had any problem with corrosion on xaps but they generally dont last a year or so before there smashed up or lost.

My flashy board for trolling behind has been smashed up by fish and had petrol spilt on it to teally mix the colours but still gets the fish attention

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:12 am

That's a bit **** if a $30-ish lure doesn't last a year. You'd think for that kind of money they'd make them to last.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:49 am

4liters wrote:That's a bit sh*t if a $30-ish lure doesn't last a year. You'd think for that kind of money they'd make them to last.
We're talking generally big fish that often have razor sharp teeth and very powerful jaws and bodies. Not pissy little spotted minnows in a tiny creek. If a $30 lure lasted 12 months and 50 or so fish I'd be bloody happy

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:06 am

cobby wrote:
4liters wrote:That's a bit sh*t if a $30-ish lure doesn't last a year. You'd think for that kind of money they'd make them to last.
We're talking generally big fish that often have razor sharp teeth and very powerful jaws and bodies. Not pissy little spotted minnows in a tiny creek. If a $30 lure lasted 12 months and 50 or so fish I'd be bloody happy

Even just fishing for salmon in the surf (no rocks to knock it into) one of my halco poppers lasted two sessions. I still use it cos it hit 51 fish down the end of gunnamatta in those two sessions but that's a good observation cobbs.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:13 am

A bloke I know makes cod lures an damn good ones at that I asked him if they'd be suitable for trolling for kings n he said no as the bib is too wide there's a good chance they'll just flip up out of the water over 8 knots. He suggested just to use xraps as that's what they r designed for.

You could still give it a crack with said lures if they start flipping out the water perhaps shave the bib.. But you may not get the desired action when u chase cod with them again
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:07 pm

A mate threw everything at the kings the other day further down gippy way. Ended up getting them on clear tube haha. makes for a perfect bubble trail.

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 pm

cobby wrote:
Yep thats exactly what were talking abt.

a school of these spanish mack can smash up half a dozen xraps in a day no probs

and its worth every cent of the 30 bucks

Cheers bm
Attachments
20151013_172522.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg
Last edited by barra mick on Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:14 pm

ducky wrote:A mate threw everything at the kings the other day further down gippy way. Ended up getting them on clear tube haha. makes for a perfect bubble trail.
You serious? Lol Never ceases to amaze me how creative fisho's can be when they think outside of the box.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”