Portland

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Portland

Post by CarlG » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Brett wrote:
Aaron75 wrote:^^^^ Yeah I spotted that stuck right down the bottom of CA's report, below all the danglers who probably hooked their fish while holding a beer in the other hand. When you consider how much time and effort goes into things, you gotta wonder if CA has any idea what they are talking about.

Can we get a link to this report?

Because If it's the same one I got. I'm one of those so called "danglers" that was holding a beer. :down:
lol yeah I saw you in it too. Sorry, no offense meant - that blue was a top effort too - but most of the people in the report, I'm sure you'll agree put in a lot less effort than the guys here who spent the past year chasing landbased kings. It probably deserved more recognition than CA gave it.
And as for those three flogs at the bottom of the page..lol

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Always a brides maid never a bride ! :cheers:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:45 pm

CarlG wrote:
Aaron75 wrote:
Brett wrote:
Aaron75 wrote:^^^^ Yeah I spotted that stuck right down the bottom of CA's report, below all the danglers who probably hooked their fish while holding a beer in the other hand. When you consider how much time and effort goes into things, you gotta wonder if CA has any idea what they are talking about.

Because If it's the same one I got. I'm one of those so called "danglers" that was holding a beer. :down:
lol yeah I saw you in it too. Sorry, no offense meant - that blue was a top effort too - but most of the people in the report, I'm sure you'll agree put in a lot less effort than the guys here who spent the past year chasing landbased kings. It probably deserved more recognition than CA gave it.
And as for those three flogs at the bottom of the page..lol

Or Dan writes the reports in the order they happen in....he was literally on the phone to me as he was about to publish that one to get details to chuck our kings in.The order of the report has nothing to do with who puts in the most effort, someone sends him an SMS and he adds it. He's a top bloke.

Brett probably put 2 months of preperation into that shark session, I know because I heard about it every freaking day for 8 weeks. As far as I know a land based blue shark in VIC is a unique capture.....
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:17 pm

I reckon its even rarer than that, I emailed an angling journo back in the uk and he told me he only knew of 3 that had been caught from 1 spot in Ireland. None have been caught landbased in the uk as the record is still vacant even though you can get in a boat and catch 30 in a day.
Maybe they come into the bay to mate or pup?
Cast, catch and put it back

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:40 pm

The only place I know of where landbased blues get caught reasonably regularly is the Chatham Islands, but that place is unique - you are casting around big dropoffs straight into the open ocean. As far as I know they are extremely pelagic, I was amazed to see one caught in PPB.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Brett wrote:

No offense taken :a_goodjob: I just thought it was a good chance to have a bit of a laugh and create more traffic on a popular topic.

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:52 am

Aaron75 wrote:The only place I know of where landbased blues get caught reasonably regularly is the Chatham Islands, but that place is unique - you are casting around big dropoffs straight into the open ocean. As far as I know they are extremely pelagic, I was amazed to see one caught in PPB.
End of the day it's a shark and it's the bay so a good burley trail for a shark is very effective they will zone in on it fairly fast, not sure if Brett was useing burley at all. But this blue shark has been spotted about 3 or 4 times in the bay in the last 6months so me personally that's all you need to know to give it a crack, otherwise you will fishing with not to much confidence because you have no knowledge of it even being here...

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:31 pm

I haven't been on the forum a little while, but I had to hunt down this report. And it did not disappoint. Absolutely amazing stuff fellas! I am INSANELY jealous, but absolutely thrilled for you. I can't believe the size of them!! Killer report too

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”