Portland

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Portland

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:55 am

GTSHoon wrote:
poodoo wrote: all the others who said they were going and never went.
Shush heng, at least im going somewhere cool next week ;)
The pack mule rides again!
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Buckle&scream

Post by Buckle&scream » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:22 am

4liters wrote:
CarlG wrote:Yeah, read somewhere this morning they shut down yesterday 'cos of the easterly..
Sh1thouse timing mate..
At least no one else was catching them.

I got horribly seasick, puked in the yak (ZE KWELLS, ZEY DO NOTHING!), only got a tiny squid for my troubles and then capsized the yak trying to get back in through the surf at Nunns Beach. Only lost a brag mat, pliers, scissors, lip grips, a screw driver, a spool of leader, rod holder and snapped my last kmart rod so I got off pretty lightly as long as the sounder didn't end up getting any salt in it. Servicing the 5 dunked reels will be a pr*ck, but at least I can do it myself and not have to fork out $100+ for it.

Would've been a good day if it wasn't for the seasickness, I had some prawns and was going to do some bottom bashing further out if the kings weren't around but I was feeling so sh*t I couldn't get off the water fast enough, and might have taken it a bit too fast :oops: I trolled the squid around and something bit its head off but I couldn't tempt another bite despite going over the same spot a couple of times.

As I left I saw a perfect sandy ramp on the inside of the harbour that I drove right past in the dark, should've gone with someone who knows the place fairly well as I think things might have panned out a little better if I'd known where to launch and where to fish.
at least you have it go bud! better luck next time!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:55 am

4liters wrote:
CarlG wrote:Yeah, read somewhere this morning they shut down yesterday 'cos of the easterly..
Sh1thouse timing mate..
At least no one else was catching them.

I got horribly seasick, puked in the yak (ZE KWELLS, ZEY DO NOTHING!), only got a tiny squid for my troubles and then capsized the yak trying to get back in through the surf at Nunns Beach. Only lost a brag mat, pliers, scissors, lip grips, a screw driver, a spool of leader, rod holder and snapped my last kmart rod so I got off pretty lightly as long as the sounder didn't end up getting any salt in it. Servicing the 5 dunked reels will be a pr*ck, but at least I can do it myself and not have to fork out $100+ for it.

Would've been a good day if it wasn't for the seasickness, I had some prawns and was going to do some bottom bashing further out if the kings weren't around but I was feeling so sh*t I couldn't get off the water fast enough, and might have taken it a bit too fast :oops: I trolled the squid around and something bit its head off but I couldn't tempt another bite despite going over the same spot a couple of times.

As I left I saw a perfect sandy ramp on the inside of the harbour that I drove right past in the dark, should've gone with someone who knows the place fairly well as I think things might have panned out a little better if I'd known where to launch and where to fish.
Honestly goonbag, as much as i want to lay into you as the captain of the Iantanic and a dozen other cheap booze related jokes, good on you for having a crack. You're 800km and 14 hours closer to cracking some kingfish while everyone else is just sitting on their asses talking about how they should go and do that one day.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:00 pm

I don't especially care for kingfish to be honest. It was more the case that there was a hot bite on, I had a free day and there were plenty of other fish to catch once I got a kingfish.

It's just a shame my guts weren't up to it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Thats a damn good report! Makes me wanna head down there but im afraid ill run into burke street after the 5hr drive.
You know what you'd rather be doinnnn

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Seems three scalleywags made the compleat angler weekly report due to some nice lb kings at Portland. Recognised there mugs right away again top stuff gents
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:10 pm

^^^^ Yeah I spotted that stuck right down the bottom of CA's report, below all the danglers who probably hooked their fish while holding a beer in the other hand. When you consider how much time and effort goes into things, you gotta wonder if CA has any idea what they are talking about.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Aaron75 wrote:^^^^ Yeah I spotted that stuck right down the bottom of CA's report, below all the danglers who probably hooked their fish while holding a beer in the other hand. When you consider how much time and effort goes into things, you gotta wonder if CA has any idea what they are talking about.

Can we get a link to this report?

Because If it's the same one I got. I'm one of those so called "danglers" that was holding a beer. :down:

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Brett wrote:
Aaron75 wrote:^^^^ Yeah I spotted that stuck right down the bottom of CA's report, below all the danglers who probably hooked their fish while holding a beer in the other hand. When you consider how much time and effort goes into things, you gotta wonder if CA has any idea what they are talking about.

Can we get a link to this report?

Because If it's the same one I got. I'm one of those so called "danglers" that was holding a beer. :down:
lol yeah I saw you in it too. Sorry, no offense meant - that blue was a top effort too - but most of the people in the report, I'm sure you'll agree put in a lot less effort than the guys here who spent the past year chasing landbased kings. It probably deserved more recognition than CA gave it.

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”