First land based Kingfish

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
dezza68

First land based Kingfish

Post by dezza68 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:18 pm

It's true what they say about kingies, thats the best fight I have ever had from a fish.
I planned on a trevally session starting on Flinders pier and then moving to West Head reef as the tide dropped. I caught a couple of trevally on the pier but they were not fast and furious so I was swapping baits around. Im float fishing with a small 7ft shimano estuary rod and 8lb line with a piece of banana prawn for bait on a size 4 hook. I get another bite and when I strike it just takes off. At first I thought big Trevally or even a Snapper but this thing is heading out to sea fast. Im on the lower deck so I call out to people to wind in and make my way down to the end to fight the fish in clear water. At this point I'm not sure it knows its hooked. I tighten the drag up very gently and can put just enough pressure on to slow the runs down. Fortunately it stays well out from the pier and I just hang on for ten minutes until we get sight of it. There are 3 kingies in the water and I'm attached too the second biggest one. Im now starting to think how the hell am I going to land this, it definately wont fit in my trout net but fortunately someone has a good gaff. I normally like to return everything but am beyond caring at this point.
I have now got it about 10m from the pier and its starting to tire. Another run and then I manage to get its head out of the water for the first time. I get it back on the surface another two times and then guide it back in range of the gaff. Bang in first time (thanks to the guy who did this, great job) and the fish is on the pier.

Measured it at 76cms and it weighed 5kg, all irrelevant really its all about that fantastic fight. Shame I couldn't put it back but it will be eaten this evening.

They guy who gaffed the fish managed to catch a slightly smaller one on an sp about half an hour later. Another cracking fight on light tackle, and some good angling skills.

Expect the pier will be a little bit crowded after this. :)
Attachments
IMAG0559.jpg
IMAG0555.jpg
IMAG0556.jpg
Cast, catch and put it back

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: First land based Kingfish

Post by 4liters » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Nice one! There's going to be boats everywhere down there this weekend too no doubt.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:24 pm

SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Gonna be crowded there this weekend!
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Coooooooolllll :banana:

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Extremely well done! Cracker fish especially on that gear and size hook.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:41 pm

images (12).jpg
images (12).jpg (7.23 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:45 pm

awesome! well done on 8lb line dude! most people would have panicked and busted off by screwing down the drag. way to keep a cool head about you

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Basti wrote:awesome! well done on 8lb line dude! most people would have panicked and busted off by screwing down the drag. way to keep a cool head about you
Thanks mate, bit of luck involved as hook was right in the scissors and a really strong hold. Very chuffed, have seen them swimming around for a couple of months now.
Cast, catch and put it back

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Wow well done Dezza that's a great catch :a_goodjob: you must be as high as a kite! i know i would be
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Huntnfish

Post by Huntnfish » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Well done mate Great fish :a_goodjob:

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”