Landbased kingfish spinning - Advice

Yellowtail Kingfish (Scientific name - Seriola lalandi), Kingys, Kings, Hoodlums, Bandits or "Rat Kings" are a strong, exciting gamefish that strike savagely at a wide range of lures, live baits and dead or cut fish fillets. Victorian Yellowtail Kingfish reports right here.
GTSHoon

Re: Landbased kingfish spinning - Advice

Post by GTSHoon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Why not grab 2 spools for whatever reel you get? As doug said there isnt a worse feeling than getting smoked (happened up north 2-3 times a day) and if you have the twin spools one can run say 50lb, the other can have 20lb and you can choose based on where you're fishing.
Also dont skimp on the line, grab something smooth so it wont cut up youre fingers (happens when casting rough, heavy line for hours on end) id say go for ygk, sas or something similar as whats the point of having good gear if the main thing connecting you to the fish isnt up to scratch?
Just my 2 bobs worth, but something to consider
Cam
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:45 am

Hey sweetpuff, got a t-curve 10-15 coastal 9' if you wanna try one out.
I've hammered it for over a year and a half now, and it's still in the correct number of pieces, which is pretty good going. Also using a 9'6 majorcraft mh, which is a monster rod..
Gimme a shout if your local-ish to the mornington peninsula.

thesweetpuff

Post by thesweetpuff » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:44 pm

CarlG wrote:Hey sweetpuff, got a t-curve 10-15 coastal 9' if you wanna try one out.
I've hammered it for over a year and a half now, and it's still in the correct number of pieces, which is pretty good going. Also using a 9'6 majorcraft mh, which is a monster rod..
Gimme a shout if your local-ish to the mornington peninsula.
Funny you say that, just got back from bcf in mornington then with a 8-15kg t curve coastal tucked under me arm (it has a grouse feel to it, good to hear its putting up with the pressure), a Biomaster Swa 8000, a whole bunch of 30lb Power pro braid, and a weeks pay spent haha! Yeah im local mate from just up Somie way.

And to Gtshoon: Seems like its actually pretty common getting smoked off the rocks by the sounds then, If my rod could take the weight id be straight back down to get another spool for the bio to fill with 50lb but no doubt it wont handle it, ill just use her as an all rounder. If i end up with a story like a couple of you fellas have, i think ill go the full 80lb bring in a russian sub type gear, but till then i might have a bit of fun.

I appreciatete everybodys input into this, Thank you all for your suggestions and tips, we'll see how we go :water:
Last edited by thesweetpuff on Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:27 pm

^ Aren't the coastals just a stunning rod. I use a 6-10 902 for pretty much 100% of my non king ocean ledge spinning, powerful, efficient, and perfectly balanced. looking forward tot he reports.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

thesweetpuff

Post by thesweetpuff » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:05 pm

DougieK wrote:^ Aren't the coastals just a stunning rod. I use a 6-10 902 for pretty much 100% of my non king ocean ledge spinning, powerful, efficient, and perfectly balanced. looking forward tot he reports.
I'm loving it mate, feels like its got a bit of power to play with after setting the strike drag, now i just have to run the thing in :-D Good price aswell nothing too over the top, i was hung up earlier on getting the 902 but thought i better go a tad heavier. Ill start chucking up reports in about a month when i get my golden ticket back for the roads, Same goes to you, hope you get that big king off the rocks you've been chasing soon, Goodluck keep at it!

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Good luck, looking forward to the reports!

adamk

Post by adamk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:08 pm

i had a friend at work mention mord pier was producing kings the other week

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:51 pm

adamk wrote:i had a friend at work mention mord pier was producing kings the other week
I'd love to see some photos of that, mind you they are definitely in the bay. Maybe those midwater snapper I've been sounding up off Mordi are something else....

I wonder if people tossed out a big deep diving silver lure while they sounded for snapper whether we would hear a few more reports

adamk

Post by adamk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:40 am

Scraglor wrote:
adamk wrote:i had a friend at work mention mord pier was producing kings the other week
I'd love to see some photos of that, mind you they are definitely in the bay. Maybe those midwater snapper I've been sounding up off Mordi are something else....

I wonder if people tossed out a big deep diving silver lure while they sounded for snapper whether we would hear a few more reports
just what i was told due to talking in general about landbased fishing, not that i can get time to go out an fish fml
but i'd tend to believe as there never gave me wrong info, i got told salmon an kings off altona a few months ago now an there was salmon an kings.

Return to “Yellowtail Kingfish Fishing”