New Zealand

Growlermz

New Zealand

Post by Growlermz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 am

Hi All,

my work is sending me to New Zealand for 1 week throughout the year (dates are not yet confirmed) and I would like to get out and do some fly fishing for the big trout over there, I have never done any fly fishing before but I am a quick learner, has anyone been over there to fly fish or can anyone recommend a guide company that will take someone that has never fly fished and show them the ropes.

I will be going to the South Island, around the Queenstown area, but I will be able to drive to different locations

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: New Zealand

Post by mazman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:15 pm

hey mate your timing for this couldn't be any better I've just got back from a predominately fly fishing trip to the same area. As far as where to go you've got all the options you want, i would recommend getting at least one trip to the mataura or the oreti and apart from that just try to fish the rivers where the clear water is. make sure you bring a net I can't stress how important this is I went thinking i wouldn't need one and lost four solid fish before i was able to get one over there. as for guides i would try Chris Dore I didn't use his guiding (or any) but he did give me some pointers which helped me a heap. try to book the guide as early as you can especially if you are there at a 'good' time of year.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: New Zealand

Post by Scraglor » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:07 pm

My pb trout came out of the lake at queenstown. Was a cracker. Dont know the size but fed three of us. Also, I cant stress enough that you have to go to the restraunt flames in queenstown. Best steak of my life. They will also cook up ur catch if u bring it in. Oh, and dont go to queenstown without getting a fergburger in you. I used to go snowboarding in qt every year. Fantastic town. You will love it.

Return to “The Rest of the World”