FISHING IN LAKE TURKANA

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: FISHING IN LAKE TURKANA

Post by happyfriggincamper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Great trip and report, cool stuff for sure!

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Brilliant report & photos to go with it Paul, that's what I call a trip of a lifetime.. Certainly something different that's for sure..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:44 am

Brilliant mate, thanks for sharing it.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 am

That's amazing, I grew up in south africa and a famous angler there Charles Norman went to Lake Turkana, he had nile perch up to 90kg out.
One day they had to rush off the lake as an enormous cloud of flies nearly enveloped them. The locals caught the flies in nets, made patties of them and fried them for dinner. It's still a good place to target them but the environment is very harsh.

The nile perch is very closely related to the Baramundi but grow much larger, up to 200kg.
Another great place to target them is Murchison Falls in Uganda, the perch there live in white water rapids and are more challenging to catch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hl80kCWtaM

They are on my bucket list but at the rate which Africa's fish stocks are being plundered (the chinese now are in on it too, netting thousands of tonnes of freshwater fish, to dry them and send them back to China) they won't be around for much longer.
I have a mate with a building company who works all over Africa, according to him the decimation of fish stocks is beyond belief.

Dam and irrigation projects in neighbouring Ethiopia have put Turkana at risk, all these wonderful places and their incredible fishing opportunities will soon be gone forever.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Paulanderson wrote:We had a quick check out of Central Island and one of the craters. The next one had a minor erruption not too many years back and had strong sulphur fumes - we gave that a miss.
Hey Paul, thats one thing you can't do in oz - go fishing in an active volcano! Its pretty mind blowing to be fishing in a lake where you look out and can't see the opposite shore. The fishing sounds great - have you caught a tigerfish?

Are you eventually coming back to Australia or is this your new home Bwana Paul?

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:44 pm

Tigerfish.jpg
Hi Will I have caught quite a few Tigerfish in the Zambezi River - this one was a bit skinny but still put up a good fight. They are really powerful fish and jump a lot.

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm

paulfishing 2 Tigerfish.jpg
This one is a more normal shape but a lousy pic! They have serious teeth!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:54 pm

Great photos Paul!
Some beauties there! :thumbsup:

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks for your comments Bayrock - that was definitely a very big Nile Perch. It is truly sad about over-fishing in Africa and using nets with very fine mesh sizes that catch everything is the main problem (and very little fisheries regulations enforcement). In some places even mosquito nets are used. I visited a fish processing factory in Uganda about 10 years ago and many of the Nile Perch from Lake Victoria that were being processed were 40-50 kg with a few larger ones. Not any more. Over half the factories have now closed down. At Entebbe in Uganda there is a quite professional boat hire/fishing charter operator with two boats. Last year their biggest Perch was just 18 kg and most were between 2 and 5 kg. In Zambia where I normally live I always fish in areas where there are a lot of rocks/current/logs etc which stops the locals from netting everything. That is also the case at Murchison Falls.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:29 pm

What a fishing trip! That lake, damn, could have said it was the ocean and I would have believed it. Makes our central Vic lakes look like livestock dams. Amazing.

Return to “The Rest of the World”