NZ Rainbow

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: NZ Rainbow

Post by meppstas » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Found this online, copied a section on Rainbow trout in NZ...

cheers
Adrian

Trout farming in New Zealand is currently prohibited under the Conservation Act and Fisheries Act. In the early 1970s salmon and trout farming where both considered, but the government decided to only allow salmon farming. The New Zealand Fish and Game Council, says removing the ban would leave the wild trout stock, a mainstay of recreational freshwater angling, vulnerable to poaching and disease. The debate over trout farming was reignited in 2012 with Sanfords Ltd and Federated Farmers pushing for the long-established ban to be lifted with claims New Zealand is missing out on hundreds of millions of dollars in exports. The decision appears to be political rather than scientifically based and to date no progress has been made towards allowing trout aquaculture in NZ.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Re: NZ Rainbow

Post by blacklab99 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:28 pm

And long may this rule stand !
I've been here a while now, but I was fly fishing over there as a 10 year old. Having lived in Rotorua for some 3 years, 10 pound rainbows were pretty much the norm. There very strict on spin fishing and of course the season is strictly enforced.
N.Z gets its dollars from the amount of tourists that flock there during the season, while more money I suppose could be made farming them, that I believe would be to the detriment of the actual trout. You couldn't actually by trout at a restaurant, but you could take your catch in and they would cook it for a charge of course. I used to fish the local tournament in Rotorua for some years from a boat and I think from memory it had been some 20 years that the winning trout was under 20 pound. I still grab the fly rod when I visit and head out for an afternoon, its a great place if you like fly fishing and its not just restricted to the big lakes, many small tributaries right through out the country are well stocked and trophy fish are there to be had...........

Return to “The Rest of the World”