a bit of fun out wide..

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

a bit of fun out wide..

Post by Bayrock » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:06 am

I've just returned from a holiday in Vanuatu. Went out on a charter for two days and got stuck in the yellowfin tuna
Brutal battles on a popper.
Look for the birds, cast across one side of the bait ball and hang on.

Biggest for the trip was a 40kg fish hooked on a live skipjack. Another brutal fight. They run a long way initially then go deep.

9.30 on the second day I was reeling in a skipjack to be used as bait on a light setup when something grabbed it. Epic run where the guide had to chase the fish in reverse as line melted of the screaming little 'Gosa. Then the toughest fight Ive ever had with a fish. How the tiny spoon held in it's mouth is beyond me. Guide kept saying "it'll be off soon" he was amazed that I got it in. I played it as gently as I could, imagining the tiny spoon hanging on a thread in it's mouth.

1 hour later I had it at the boat. It took one look at the gaff and dived 150m deep. Another 2 hours of a give and take battle I had it in the boat.
I was in pain but happy as Larry.
PE2 braid, Saragosa 6000 and a light spinning rod. 33kg yellowfin.

Here's my video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hY9hX8o1zI&t=27s

Sinsemilla

Re: a bit of fun out wide..

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:01 am

Mate that's what dreams are made of! trip of a lifetime right there! awesome work

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: a bit of fun out wide..

Post by Lightningx » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:24 am

Far out mate. What a trip! Great pics. Those are great size yellowfins! :thumbsup:

Return to “The Rest of the World”