New Zealand 1-16

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: New Zealand 1-16

Post by mazman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks guys :a_goodjob:
poodoo wrote:Some nice trout there mazman! Was expecting a 5 lb from NZ.
Hooked a couple but didn't land any, also sighted some trout that were 10lb+ but couldn't get a take from them.
skuxliss wrote:Nice work mate, looks like the ol' Chinook Salmon? Red flesh beautiful raw with a squeeze of lemon. Did you fish the Rakaia and Selwyn river mate?
Yeah chinook/quinnat salmon. Stayed at the rakaia with intentions to fish it but we were buggered and the salmon weren't running. after catching those little ones I can't imagine how a 10lber would fight nevermind a 20lb+
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

skuxliss

Post by skuxliss » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:20 am

Yeah chinook/quinnat salmon. Stayed at the rakaia with intentions to fish it but we were buggered and the salmon weren't running. after catching those little ones I can't imagine how a 10lber would fight nevermind a 20lb+
Good work! We fished the Waimakarriri mouth for some Aussie salmon (Kawhai they call it there) and got 3kg+, biggest was a 5kg used it for bait to get some kingies over in Lyttelton. Next time you go, drive up north towards Kaikoura, they also produce some monster trout and salmon in the rivers

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Awesome report mate, congratulations on the trip!

That's my old neighborhood, born and raised within a few hundred ms of the Mataura River and spent most of my life there. I've pulled a few 10+ pounders out of the system and they get up around 20 in some of the slower moving tributaries. My favorite spot for the bigger models would be the stretch of river between Waikaia and Piano Flat - almost every sharp bend in the river there holds big granddaddies but they are much harder to catch.

You are very lucky to have a father who shares your passion and is willing to spend the time with you - don't take that for granted. And I hope you ate at least one of those Quinnats, they taste amazing.

Broomstick
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Broomstick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:32 pm

Killer report Maz! Unreal stuff, I'd kill to do this. And some nice snaps too - that first scenery shot is unreal!

Return to “The Rest of the World”