Another interesting fishing experience overseas

passport1980

Another interesting fishing experience overseas

Post by passport1980 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Hey friends, haven't posted in a while. Just thought I would share a story with you all. Again I went on a one month holiday overseas. This time to Thailand. So, I bought a telescopic, some jig heads, sinkers etc. Did no research whatsoever.

After three weeks I didn't do any fishing. I was in the far north mountains and google mapped it up- found a small lake 10 km from the town I was staying. So- off I went on the motorbike. Through the mud, past the villages, some wrong turns, some dodgy directions, no bait- only bread. (What a novice)

I finally made it to this lake and it was beautiful....a small lake surrounded by mountains and rice paddies, the clouds hovering over the mountain peaks and a storm on the way. There were plenty of locals fishing under little tent like structures around the lake. They all welcomed me with curious looks and smiles. Typical Thai hospitality.

In my bread went and I started getting bites. One young local (who had a staggering 8 rods set up!!!) came over and introduced himself. The rain started and he invited me to fish under his tent. I went over but there was no room to fish due to all of his rods set up in all directions. He showed me the nice 2 kilo catfish he had caught earlier and told me his friend got one about 4 kg earlier in the day but since went home. Knowing I was leaving shortly, I gave him some tackle and soft plastics to his curiosity. He cut me a few pieces of fresh pork and said it was the best catfish bait.

I fished for two hours with no luck- so I decided to call it a day and left.

When I was leaving a man in full camoflauge gear appeared from the bushes with a rifle slung over his shoulder. He looked at me with much curiosity. His English was great and he was interested in how I found out about this lake. We chatted for awhile until I finally had the courage to ask him what the rifle was about.

Well, he said that he perches himself in the trees and when the bigger catfish rise to the surface he shoots them. Once determined he hit his target, he dives in for the catch. I was so impressed. He said that he has to try and shoot them around the 2 metre depth as it is easier to retrieve them. A really nice bloke, he said his record was 5.5 kg and his mate's record was a whopping 12 kilos!!!!

Anyways, even though I wet a line once, I always have a great time meeting other fishos and seeing how they fish in their country. It is always a worthwhile experiment. Ok, I am off to Sandy to try and hit a pinkie or two.

Time Poor

Re: Another interesting fishing experience overseas

Post by Time Poor » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Fantastic story and I'd remember that experience to my dying day.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Great story pity the fish didn't play

andyk

Post by andyk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Haha good story i once saw a guy try and shoot a trout in a stream a eildon with a 375 i watched as he fired an just about emptied the creek only to see two pices of trout disipear down stream .

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Great story mate :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Miffy & Sparkles

Post by Miffy & Sparkles » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:42 am

good read mate!
No matter what you done wrong, always try to make it look like the dog did it.

Return to “The Rest of the World”