Queens Birthday - Phillip Island Sharks

CanuckDownUnder

Queens Birthday - Phillip Island Sharks

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm heading out to San Remo for the weekend, planning on doing a lot of land-based around the eastern entrance and across the top side of the island between Ventnor and Silverleaves. Instead of targeting any one species, I plan to have both running sinker and paternoster out with calamari, pilchard or pipi.

Maybe head down to Cape Wollamai. I feel like salmon will be the most common species given the time of year, but I'm not experienced in surf fishing. I can only cast about 30m, I don't think that's enough for surf fishing. If anything, I'll probably just throw some slugs out.

The highlight of my trip will be hiring a boat on Sunday. I've researched a few GPS marks and got them saved. Only time I've been fishing on a boat in several years is charters with 12-20 inexperienced people, targeting small fish in big numbers, not great. I can't wait to get out there.

Now - a big question I'm hoping I can get some advice on before 5pm today (won't be near computers for rest of weekend). How do I handle a shark? I'd like to drop a 8/0 or 10/0 hook with wire trace & 60lb line and hope for a big gummy or, better yet, seven gill or a bronzie. Problem is, there is a lot of conflicting information out there about the quality of eating, if they're worth keeping, how to bleed and fillet, etc. I'm also concerned about keeping my ankles safe. And, if I am going to release, keeping my hands safe.

if anyone can give advice in the next few hours it will be much appreciated! Cheers and I hope everyone has a good, safe long weekend.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Queens Birthday - Phillip Island Sharks

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:43 pm

If your going to target sharks on beaches a second person is always handy with a gaff. If on your own I have no idea.
Sorry that's all I can help you with.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:54 pm

im no expert but been fishing with a few guys that target gummys from my boat and picked up a few things

you can catch big sharks on small hooks and small sharks on big hooks
i caught a 3.5kg gummy (75cm) on a 9/0 circle hook so anything is possible

gummys dont really like wire but if other sharks around they will bit through mono (catch 22)
if your after a gummy my mates use 50lb braid for line then a 60 to 80 lb leader with a 7/0 to 9/0 circle hook and then puts a sinker ezyrig up the main line
and we get best results on squid
fresh baits it the key tho i think

i would probably take 1 or 2 wire traces with me and if you get bitten off just use them then since you know there are toothies around

i normally net the shark bring it on board, if under size remove hook and release it
and if size and we want to keep it, i hit it over the head with a bit of wood i carry, this stuns the fish so i can remove it and then you can cut near the head and tail to bleed it, then tie a rope to its tail (and then to the boat)and put it back in the water to bleed out so my boat doesnt get to dirty
just watch out for any seals they might come and have a bite
and remember to bring it in before you move spots

hope this helps
goodluck

give us a report when you get back

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 pm

Don't use wire. A 6/0 or 7/0 circle on mono does the job with Gummies, 7 gills and smaller Bronzies (most of the time). Outside of a flying gaff on bigger sharks like Makos I've netted all my Gummies for years. They have a tendency to roll off the gaff in my experience, especially when over 4ft.

If you think you'll have trouble with the size of shark landing it then just release it boatside by cutting the leader as close as you can to them. With the toothies even baby school sharks are strong enough to twist in the hand so at all times take care with the teeth.

Bleeding them is a slice under the head from a gill slit to the opposite gill slit and a nick both sides at the base of the tail. Followed by gutting them. All in 10 minutes of getting them in the boat preferably.

Oh and don't just up and go after an hour if nothing is happening. Sharks have a very good sense of smell and will follow a berley trail for kms

CanuckDownUnder

Post by CanuckDownUnder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! I only have a gaff, but I think I know where I can borrow a net for the weekend.

I've read lots about ammonia smell if they aren't bled out right away, but also if they are big. I love flake and would love to cook one I caught so I will be doing everything I can to get it right.

I'll be hiring the boat for at least 3 hours and bringing the Mrs., if she can handle it we'll stay out for 5 hours.
"Look at where Jesus went to pick people. He didn't go to the colleges; he got guys off the fishing docks." - Jeff Foxworthy

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:26 pm

If you fishing in the surf, having a far cast isn't always needed, some times the best spot is less than 10m casting distance. It's best to look for gutters or deep holes if you targeting sharks off the surf, and casting smaller baits in the gutters or along sand banks for whiting,bream and trevally.
Here fishy fishy.......

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:52 pm

also a tip
dont mix your gummys in the same bucket as other fish cos the ammonia will make the other fish taste rank

slinga

Post by slinga » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Above pointers valid...

Wire unnecessary/6-8/0 circle.
Fresh baits a must...
Linc- "slimeys are great fun to catch, like hooking a giant vibrator with a propeller onto the end of your rod! Well done"

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:19 pm

when targeting sharks mate always use fresh bait, either salmon mullet trevalli whatever you can get your hands on so long as its fresh. PERSONALLY, I won't go chasing sharks without fresh bait and I target them most weekends, mostly gummys though. if you wanna target gummys I wouldn't use wire trace just about 2/3 meters of heavy leader (100lb should do the trick even 80 should be fine). western port has very rough currents however, use an easy rig pm me if you don't know what they are ill explain in detail. anything from 8/0-10/0 will be sufficient. now your gear will also play a big part chasing sharks especially with the kinds your mentioning like 7 gills. be prepared to be spooled if you don't have heavy gear/line if you get onto a big one my penn slammers 850 have been spooled on big 7 gillers. now everyone will tell you different things but being obsessed with gummys these are the things I've found so hope this all helps mate best of luck, as I said if you need any help rigging up or any more info just send me a pm :)

tr3los

Post by tr3los » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:22 pm

aussie_fisho wrote:If you fishing in the surf, having a far cast isn't always needed, some times the best spot is less than 10m casting distance. It's best to look for gutters or deep holes if you targeting sharks off the surf, and casting smaller baits in the gutters or along sand banks for whiting,bream and trevally.
well said aussie fisho couldn't agree more. I learnt how to fish off the surf/rocks, and you'll notice its not about distance fishing the beach most important thing is where you put your baits. its worth walking the top of the sand dunes looking for a nice deep gutter even if u gotta go for a walk for half an hour itl pay off. mabe have a look at low tide find a nice gutter even if its 10 20 meters out then come hight tide youll be in with a good chance.

Return to “Phillip Island”