Rhyll-Landbased?

Watp

Rhyll-Landbased?

Post by Watp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:22 am

Hey All

Heading down on the weekend to a friends holiday house that is in Ryhll and just wondering what the landbased fishing is like? I have seen the pier but unsure of what I will encounter. Any advise would be much appreciated :)

Toisouljar

Re: Rhyll-Landbased?

Post by Toisouljar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:34 am

Phillip island has some good fishing, however most piers are very overcrowded especially cowes. I fish it quiet often as my fiancé has a family holiday house down there. I find that New haven pier is the far least fished and best pier in my opinion, you can target kgw, gummys, wrasse and slimeys there. Little 1/0 circle black magic hooks does the damage. However tide runs really hard there so you can only fish for about 3 hours or else you won't hold bottom, 1.5 hours before and after tides. But If the piers are crowded I head to a beach at the end off my finances street which is called stradbroke crescent turn right and there's some stairs take that straight down and you'll see rock formations that gives you a gutter straight out the front of the stairs. Same deal with tackle 1/0 circle black magic hooks and a 4 or 5 oz sinker and burley will do the damage. Look to target snapper, gummys , salmon, mullet and wrasse. Hope this helps.

Watp

Post by Watp » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks mate for the good advice, I am looking forward to getting out for a fish. A few other people have told me to try the beaches around the eastern entrance too.

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:39 pm

you can at times get a few undersized flatties off the Rhyll jetty but... If the ferry is moored there then you will only have limited room

biggar

Post by biggar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Yeah X2 for newhaven
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

Watp

Post by Watp » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:29 am

Newhaven is looking good, packing plenty of heavy leads!

MrI-fish

Post by MrI-fish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi there, I was going to ask a similar question. Has anyone hired a boat from near Rhyll? Am I better off going and fishing a land based spot or renting a boat for a few hours. Going to Rhyll for a friends wedding this week and have a few hours to myself on Saturday morning to get some fishing in. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Would really love to catch a whiting as I am yet to land one but decent flathead or pinkys are acceptable as well.

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:52 pm

MrI-fish wrote:Hi there, I was going to ask a similar question. Has anyone hired a boat from near Rhyll? Am I better off going and fishing a land based spot or renting a boat for a few hours. Going to Rhyll for a friends wedding this week and have a few hours to myself on Saturday morning to get some fishing in. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Would really love to catch a whiting as I am yet to land one but decent flathead or pinkys are acceptable as well.
Worthwhile hiring a boat, head just around the corner to observation point for some whiting. Probably in for a chance of an elephant fish as they have started to invade western port.

MrI-fish

Post by MrI-fish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:06 pm

Cheers Poodoo, never targeted the Elephants before any tips as to what rig we need? I am guessing the whiting and the Elephant fish will both require different rigs and set up. Would love to catch both... two new species in a weekend would be awesome.

poodoo

Post by poodoo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:41 pm

MrI-fish wrote:Cheers Poodoo, never targeted the Elephants before any tips as to what rig we need? I am guessing the whiting and the Elephant fish will both require different rigs and set up. Would love to catch both... two new species in a weekend would be awesome.
I haven't caught them land based before only on a boat. For that I have used a running style ezi-rig so I can change the sinker based on the level of current with a 3.0 circle. For the whiting when they are biting hard I use a paternosta rig with 2 X 1.0 circle droppers, if they are more tentative I will use a size 6 shiner hook on a single dropper.

Return to “Phillip Island”