Mixed bag out im wp and seal rock

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Mixed bag out im wp and seal rock

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:50 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tim399 wrote:I have eaten a male bluethroat before which didn’t taste too bad. From memory I think the male blue throats taste different to the females, which is why I took the male.

I’d still take many more species before blue throat though
4liters wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
4liters wrote:
Brett wrote:

Wrasse are fine if cooked right. There used to be a big market for live wrasse in Sydney(not sure if there still is) Fish used to be caught at the prom and sent up in large tanks, to the restaurants. Then they'd put them in a display tank and you would pick the fish you want in the tank and they cook it.
Mostly Asian restaurants and it was mostly steamed, so the flesh stayed firm.
There's a bloke down here who uses crab traps to catch live wrasse. They're worth a fortune, and if I recall correctly he even has some flown to some overseas fish market.
Haha thats crazy for a fish that supposedly everyone is throwing back.
Anyway the only place ive consistently caught big ones are in bass strait. The smaller specimen ofcourse are always around most places. But the bigger boys are only available outside and they do have quite a bit of meat on them hence why i decided to take them home.
Lets see what they taste like.
I caught some really big (50cm+) blue throats at the Wilson Spit and kept them. Despite doing everything right (bled and cleaned straight away, and straight on ice) they tasted really seaweedy and were mushy so they all go back now.

Interesting.
Let you know what i think of them. Might do a few different styles of preparation and see how they go.
Did you cool one last night?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm

FishHunter81 wrote:Good catches. Any chance of an invite on next trip? :water:
Highly likely.
On a trip like that aso many things need to be rite.weather wise

Or i can get you out if i just go locally

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Joker91 wrote:Got to be happy with a day like that!

Ever thought they people started the rumour that the fish don't taste good just so people put them back and then they can catch them.
Yep was a great day out on the water.
Gave the boat a good run before putting her away for few months while i start new job and do 10 weeks of study.

Interesting theory quite possible.
Either way still fun to catch and someone will enjoy them

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Ive tried baking, barbecueing, steaming, deepfrying all sorts of wrasse.
They are all soft mushy and taste ****. Good fun in light gear but no point wasting your time on them if you want a feed of nice fish. My dog eats bluethroat and i keep them if I get the odd 1 or 2 for him.

When the strait is glass like that you are best off going further out until you hit the sandy areas to catch big flathead and heaps of arrow squid.

I have spoke to some asians and they love steamed wrasse in a special asian sauce they steam with water. Can only get it from asian green grocers.

Went to springvale market today and wrasse were 17 bux a kg... try asian cooking methods.

To me they are dog food.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:30 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Ive tried baking, barbecueing, steaming, deepfrying all sorts of wrasse.
They are all soft mushy and taste sh*t. Good fun in light gear but no point wasting your time on them if you want a feed of nice fish. My dog eats bluethroat and i keep them if I get the odd 1 or 2 for him.

When the strait is glass like that you are best off going further out until you hit the sandy areas to catch big flathead and heaps of arrow squid.

I have spoke to some asians and they love steamed wrasse in a special asian sauce they steam with water. Can only get it from asian green grocers.

Went to springvale market today and wrasse were 17 bux a kg... try asian cooking methods.

To me they are dog food.
We did try further out and only picked up small flathead.

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:55 pm

smile0784 wrote:
crumpet_avenger wrote:Ive tried baking, barbecueing, steaming, deepfrying all sorts of wrasse.
They are all soft mushy and taste sh*t. Good fun in light gear but no point wasting your time on them if you want a feed of nice fish. My dog eats bluethroat and i keep them if I get the odd 1 or 2 for him.

To me they are dog food.
When you catch wrasse and sgt baker out the front you are on reefy bottom. Those fish get in before pinkies 9 out of 10 times.

Straight out the front of flinders naval cannon/base in 100 ft of water there are big flathead, sand whiting, arrow squid and also large sand crab.
I use a crab pot and let out 110 ft of rope. Usually get enough crab to feed me my old man and 2 kids in 3 or 4 drops.
You will be able to tell on your sounder as soon as you hit the sandy areas. Also a chance for a gummy.
Caught my biggest gummies out there, but my old.man isnt as stable on his feet now so we dont go out there for long now.

Mainly just to check our cray pots that we leave in overnight

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Cool.ill check that spot out next time.

Your not talking near the lober pots out off mushroom reef?

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:31 pm

smile0784 wrote:Cool.ill check that spot out next time.

Your not talking near the lober pots out off mushroom reef?
No. Its alot further out than mushroom reef. Thats a no fishing zone.
You need to work out on your sounder what reef is and what sand is. Best place to learn that is in clear water with sand holes. Somers balanarring point leo and flinders. Thats how learnt how to tell what the bottom was because 10ft of water is almost always crystal clear.

Mushroom reef doesnt go all the way to the tip of flinders. If you go there on the land you can get a good idea of what areas are sanctuary and what arent. Navionics arent always accurate.

Ive fish in close around the corner of.flinders and got squid with 50 cm hoods. Sweep that pull like freight trains and leatherjacket over 50cm. Great eating fish but if you dont know how to anchor near reef and rocks it might be best to give it a miss or have a driver and a fisherman..

But out further on the sandy bottom is where you get the big flatty crab and gummies. You can still see the sure comfortably. Sandcrab were $9.99 a kg at the market today. Underated food source and so easy to catch

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:34 pm

How do you target sweep? I’ve heard they’re pretty tasty
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:37 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

To me they are dog food.
When you catch wrasse and sgt baker out the front you are on reefy bottom. Those fish get in before pinkies 9 out of 10 times.

Straight out the front of flinders naval cannon/base in 100 ft of water there are big flathead, sand whiting, arrow squid and also large sand crab.
I use a crab pot and let out 110 ft of rope. Usually get enough crab to feed me my old man and 2 kids in 3 or 4 drops.
You will be able to tell on your sounder as soon as you hit the sandy areas. Also a chance for a gummy.
Caught my biggest gummies out there, but my old.man isnt as stable on his feet now so we dont go out there for long now.

Mainly just to check our cray pots that we leave in overnight
We might have just missed the sand patches. Most certainly were on reef as all we got were wrasses. And few pinkies. So next time might try bit further if we did go down that way.

Return to “Phillip Island”