PB Trev bycatch

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

PB Trev bycatch

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:23 am

Was ballooning for Kings off a Bass Straight ledge yesterday. About an hour after setting up I had that moment of 'where's my balloon', 10 seconds of confusing, sudden realisation and then a moment of panic.

After a brief fight on 24kg gear and calling it a king then a snapper, this bad boy appears on the surface. Approx 45cm of Silver Trevally, took a 30cm hood squid 2m under a balloon.

As always, please do not ask for information regarding the location. Happy to talk about techniques, conditions, tactics etc.

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

bilby

Re: PB Trev bycatch

Post by bilby » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:40 am

That's a great fish, DougieK! I love trevally, they seem to get so much more power for their size by turning side on when they fight. Can you catch squid at the location you were fishing?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:04 am

Been a while since we heard from you, what happened someone got you in a choke hold for a while :rofl:

thats a great size trev, well done, hopefully you send it back out with a hook in his back :-D
reminds me of when millionaire toyboy shaz hooked a 40 or 50cm cant remeber now on bream gear in gippy, took a while to get the bugger in

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:29 am

Other then Portland ,well known breakwall.
Have you actually caught a king from these secret spots U fish.. .!?
Nice Trev..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 am

Great travally

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 am

Decent trevally mate

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am

purple5ive wrote:Been a while since we heard from you, what happened someone got you in a choke hold for a while :rofl:
Last year I was a bit busy. This year I should have more time to be fishing. I've been spending a bunch of time interstate as well.

bowl wrote:Other then Portland ,well known breakwall.
Nice Trev..
Yes.

After a couple of 'incidents' I'm pretty cagey about where I'm fishing and what I'm doing. LBG in Victoria is seriously hard work and rock fishing in Bass Straight is insane probably 9 out of 10 days. There are very very limited conditions you can do this in and a couple of the spots we're fishing are literally "going to die if you f ck up" kinds of ledges. This one is one of those that is fine if you get the exact right conditions, but 'she'll be right mate' is a great way to get yourself killed. Between the three of us (four if you count Cameron) we probably have 6000 hours of ledge time in the past 3 years. The number of times we've rocked up to a spot, having put in 2+ hours to get there, and turned around because it wasn't safe is ridiculous.

I'll post a big report at the end of the LBG season.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 am

DougieK wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Been a while since we heard from you, what happened someone got you in a choke hold for a while :rofl:
Last year I was a bit busy. This year I should have more time to be fishing. I've been spending a bunch of time interstate as well.

bowl wrote:Other then Portland ,well known breakwall.
Nice Trev..
Yes.

After a couple of 'incidents' I'm pretty cagey about where I'm fishing and what I'm doing. LBG in Victoria is seriously hard work and rock fishing in Bass Straight is insane probably 9 out of 10 days. There are very very limited conditions you can do this in and a couple of the spots we're fishing are literally "going to die if you f ck up" kinds of ledges. This one is one of those that is fine if you get the exact right conditions, but 'she'll be right mate' is a great way to get yourself killed. Between the three of us (four if you count Cameron) we probably have 6000 hours of ledge time in the past 3 years. The number of times we've rocked up to a spot, having put in 2+ hours to get there, and turned around because it wasn't safe is ridiculous.

I'll post a big report at the end of the LBG season.
Sounds like U guys r getting some rewards for effort ....
U getting any sharks as by catch????
Wish I had physical capabilities to go on treks n seek out lesser fished spots....

:thumbsup:

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am

bowl wrote: Sounds like U guys r getting some rewards for effort ....
U getting any sharks as by catch????
Wish I had physical capabilities to go on treks n seek out lesser fished spots....

:thumbsup:

Not really here. Another localish spot we got severely smoked about 8 times in a row one night. Massive blistering run then bitten off. That was sliding live squid.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 am

Not too many places that look like that on Phillip Island :victory: (If it's where I think it is, there are abs and crays off that ledge if your game)

Return to “Phillip Island”