Weekend report.

dazz999
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Weekend report.

Postby dazz999 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm

well done i reconize that rock on the left in the pic nah seriously just normal balloons or something like the black magics



Remove these ads.

Brownie
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:05 pm

Re: Weekend report.

Postby Brownie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Great fish. :thumbsup:

User avatar
one2three
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:58 am

Re: Weekend report.

Postby one2three » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi Carl,

What bait was used for ballooning.

Well done and nice catch
Jack of all trades, Master of none

CarlG
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Rosebud.

Re: Weekend report.

Postby CarlG » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:26 am

one2three wrote:Hi Carl,

What bait was used for ballooning.

Well done and nice catch


Fish came on a squid head.
Generally we use either small squid whole, on a 2 hook rig, or squid heads on a single hook.
Got couta..?

bilby
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:45 am

Re: Weekend report.

Postby bilby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:26 am

Just out of interest - I've always wondered why it is so crucial for the balloon to release. Is it just an issue of not wanting the fish to drop the bait (like setting the balance weight on a quill float) or is there some other reason?

CarlG
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Rosebud.

Re: Weekend report.

Postby CarlG » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:23 am

bilby wrote:Just out of interest - I've always wondered why it is so crucial for the balloon to release. Is it just an issue of not wanting the fish to drop the bait (like setting the balance weight on a quill float) or is there some other reason?


Never really worried about it Billy, generally find once you get a solid fish, the balloon either gets ripped off, or pops anyway.
Got couta..?



Remove these ads.

User avatar
one2three
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:58 am

Re: Weekend report.

Postby one2three » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 am

Hi Carl,

Do you have videos when you guys do ballooning.

Which part of the Island did you guys fish
Jack of all trades, Master of none

CarlG
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Rosebud.

Re: Weekend report.

Postby CarlG » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am

one2three wrote:Hi Carl,

Do you have videos when you guys do ballooning.

Which part of the Island did you guys fish


No video I'm afraid, but honestly, ballooning is about as simple as fishing comes. Mono mainline down to a big snap swivel, with a easy rig slider running on you mainline, a small soft bead stopper above the slider.
A metre and a half of 80lb leader, with a heavy duty swivel on one end, and your choice of hooks on the other end. A small pea sinker running above the hooks, you are good to go...
As for where, see the last line of the first post....
Southern half of the Island is as much as anyone gets.
Got couta..?

User avatar
one2three
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:58 am

Re: Weekend report.

Postby one2three » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

CarlG wrote:
one2three wrote:Hi Carl,

Do you have videos when you guys do ballooning.

Which part of the Island did you guys fish


No video I'm afraid, but honestly, ballooning is about as simple as fishing comes. Mono mainline down to a big snap swivel, with a easy rig slider running on you mainline, a small soft bead stopper above the slider.
A metre and a half of 80lb leader, with a heavy duty swivel on one end, and your choice of hooks on the other end. A small pea sinker running above the hooks, you are good to go...
As for where, see the last line of the first post....
Southern half of the Island is as much as anyone gets.


Hi Carl,

Are you attaching anything to the easy rig slider?
Jack of all trades, Master of none

CarlG
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Rosebud.

Re: Weekend report.

Postby CarlG » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:45 pm

one2three wrote:
CarlG wrote:
one2three wrote:Hi Carl,

Do you have videos when you guys do ballooning.

Which part of the Island did you guys fish


No video I'm afraid, but honestly, ballooning is about as simple as fishing comes. Mono mainline down to a big snap swivel, with a easy rig slider running on you mainline, a small soft bead stopper above the slider.
A metre and a half of 80lb leader, with a heavy duty swivel on one end, and your choice of hooks on the other end. A small pea sinker running above the hooks, you are good to go...
As for where, see the last line of the first post....
Southern half of the Island is as much as anyone gets.


Hi Carl,

Are you attaching anything to the easy rig slider?


The easyrig slider is what you hook your balloon onto.
Sorry, should have mentioned that...
Got couta..?



Remove these ads.


Return to “Phillip Island”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests