Cowes Pier

tommytankin

Cowes Pier

Post by tommytankin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Going out to cowes in early december and wondering where exactly is best to cast from the pier when targeting snapper and gummys? I have heard about the collapsed pier and I've tried avoiding that area but whenever I cast any where close to the end of the pier all I do is get snagged :/ also is incoming tide best for snapper and gummys from the pier? I usually fish for salmon and squid from the sides of the pier for around 1.5 hours on each side of the tide and have had some success. any help and tips would be appreciated! thanks

Hammy Y

Re: Cowes Pier

Post by Hammy Y » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 pm

tommytankin wrote:Going out to cowes in early december and wondering where exactly is best to cast from the pier when targeting snapper and gummys? I have heard about the collapsed pier and I've tried avoiding that area but whenever I cast any where close to the end of the pier all I do is get snagged :/ also is incoming tide best for snapper and gummys from the pier? I usually fish for salmon and squid from the sides of the pier for around 1.5 hours on each side of the tide and have had some success. any help and tips would be appreciated! thanks
Hey mate,
I was down there last Thursday for about 4 hours, no luck on anything decent except 2 tiny flatties even tho I was targeting squid. No squid to be found, one lady caught 1 early morning but saw nothing else for the whole day.
In terms of areas to go, one bloke had some great luck on the far right corner of the pier casting out at a 45degree angle to the shoreline. He caught 4 coutas and a 50-60cm snapper. It was my first time fishing there as I'm usually a boat man so I don't know much about the area but from what I could tell it was pretty dead. Me and a mate tired off the right side of the pier about halfway down and the left side just snagged us constantly and I didn't fancy losing a $20~ jig.

Best of luck,
Hammy

tommytankin

Post by tommytankin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:48 pm

one bloke had some great luck on the far right corner of the pier casting out at a 45degree angle to the shoreline. He caught 4 coutas and a 50-60cm snapper. It was my first time fishing there as I'm usually a boat man so I don't know much about the area but from what I could tell it was pretty dead. Me and a mate tired off the right side of the pier about halfway down and the left side just snagged us constantly and I didn't fancy losing a $20~ jig.
Yeah I think that might be the furthest you can cast without being in danger of losing some tackle. I have caught couta out at around that same spot but the snapper sounds like a positive improvement from my past experiences. Bad luck on that trip mate, its a bit hit and miss but on a good day it can produce some decent squid.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:42 am

Hammy Y wrote:
tommytankin wrote:Going out to cowes in early december and wondering where exactly is best to cast from the pier when targeting snapper and gummys? I have heard about the collapsed pier and I've tried avoiding that area but whenever I cast any where close to the end of the pier all I do is get snagged :/ also is incoming tide best for snapper and gummys from the pier? I usually fish for salmon and squid from the sides of the pier for around 1.5 hours on each side of the tide and have had some success. any help and tips would be appreciated! thanks
Hey mate,
I was down there last Thursday for about 4 hours, no luck on anything decent except 2 tiny flatties even tho I was targeting squid. No squid to be found, one lady caught 1 early morning but saw nothing else for the whole day.
In terms of areas to go, one bloke had some great luck on the far right corner of the pier casting out at a 45degree angle to the shoreline. He caught 4 coutas and a 50-60cm snapper. It was my first time fishing there as I'm usually a boat man so I don't know much about the area but from what I could tell it was pretty dead. Me and a mate tired off the right side of the pier about halfway down and the left side just snagged us constantly and I didn't fancy losing a $20~ jig.

Best of luck,
Hammy
Bad luck loosing a $20 jig

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 am

end of the pier on the very left. cast out slightly left. theres a hole here where the snapper can sit. I saw one guy get his bag on 4kg fish here one night

tommytankin

Post by tommytankin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm

fishmagnet wrote:end of the pier on the very left. cast out slightly left. theres a hole here where the snapper can sit. I saw one guy get his bag on 4kg fish here one night
thanks, have never tried the left hand side might give it a go next time

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:23 pm

fishmagnet wrote:end of the pier on the very left. cast out slightly left. theres a hole here where the snapper can sit. I saw one guy get his bag on 4kg fish here one night
nice fish from a peir

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:17 pm

smile0784 wrote:
nice fish from a peir
Yeah pretty deep water off the end

Return to “Phillip Island”