Phillip Island Kayaking Grand Final Weekend

fishmagnet

Phillip Island Kayaking Grand Final Weekend

Post by fishmagnet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Hey guys, I'll be based down at cowes for the grand final weekend and was planning on taking the yak out for a couple of sessions. Was just wanting to know if someone could offer some advice to kayak fishing down there. Happy to travel to other places around the island. Also preferably a place with a lighter current. Don't care what species I target, just so long as I can get out for a fish safe enough. Cheers! :water:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Phillip Island Kayaking Grand Final Weekend

Post by 4liters » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Cleeland bight, pretty sheltered and plenty of fish. Should be some huge squid around then. Current can run hard through there and kick up some standing waves but you're never far from land if it gets too much for you
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:51 pm

fishmagnet wrote:Was just wanting to know if someone could offer some advice to kayak fishing down there. Happy to travel to other places around the island. Also preferably a place with a lighter current. Don't care what species I target, just so long as I can get out for a fish safe enough. Cheers! :water:
I'm guessing you haven't used the kayak much and from memory you picked up an outback

first around Cowes the flow rips along a bit - if you are looking for some lighter flow areas - Dickies Bay behind the San Remo Police station
you can launch between the S/Remo Pier and bridge if the tide is up -
back off the Island Coronet Bay at the end off Cuddy Sark rd - Reef Island off the end of Bluff Rd Bass - or a Bass River Launch from the end of Bass Landing Rd and paddle out the mouth

all of these areas have light tide flows and produce fish - I'd probably be down around these places myself by last september but I think that W/E we are off chasing Kings a Pt Augusta

so hope that is some help
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:04 pm

Allways a chance off some flaties on the cowes beach...not much tide there down silverleaves way

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

fishmagnet

Post by fishmagnet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks guys!

Return to “Phillip Island”