Cape Woolamai 2/3

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Cape Woolamai 2/3

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:02 am

Not under the salmon. We tried a little way out from where you guys were bottom bouncing out as wide as I saw you go but got nothing. Then we headed to a mark about 3km south of the coast and about 5km due east of the cape, towards kilkunda in about 40 to 45 meters. The mark was supposed to have reef bottom and hold snapper/pinkies. The bottom just seemed like sand to us, we got no snapper but plenty of decent flatties and one barracuda. I reckon they cover a large area as we drifted 800 meters and never stopped catching them. We also tried in behind some of the sandy beaches to find a gutter and maybe a gummy but no luck.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:23 am

Now that you mention it I reckon I did see you guys. Just as I was heading out wider a boat went out to the east and disappeared over the horizon (which isn't that far when sitting in a yak) which I guess was you.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:43 pm

Great reports from Mingle and Skronk also. Some seriously good photos going on there. I love those hobie trimaran with the sails, probably my ideal fishing platform if i even get the dollars together.

skronkman wrote:and one barracuda
I don't want to sound like a tool because you've obviously got a heap of experience and put some effort into the report, but there is a difference between a barracuda and a barracouta, you don't get cuda in Victoria.

Thanks for the contributions everyone, this thread is awesome.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:50 pm

AIs come up for sale second hand fairly regularly, but they are one of the more expensive Hobies and that's saying something
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:09 pm

No worries dougiek, i knew there was a difference but I didn't know which was which and haven't caught many. Just went with the first spelling that came out. I use to work on dive boats out of Townsville and wondered if the big bangers I was diving with up there were the same but bigger or a different species as the ones we get down here. I'm thinking different species and different spelling to suit!

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:24 pm

One of those bloody 'couta took my one of my 1oz, 5/0 TT jigheads with a ZMan 7" SP on it - snicked clean through the line - I could've cried!

@DougieK, if you're ever down at Cleeland Bight one day you're welcome to take my A.I. for a test-spin. They're great boats.

Did the run from Cleeland Bight to Cape Paterson in it, last year.

Cheers,

Mike.

kristian1

Post by kristian1 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:03 pm

beautiful fishing conditions

Return to “Phillip Island”