Cape Woolamai 2/3

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Cape Woolamai 2/3

Post by skronkman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:22 am

Hey 4liters, were you out there with another fella that had a small sail up? I think I was out there with you guys in a blue TABS 5.45. When you guys were in about 40m we went out past you and drifted, bottom bounced and kept an eye on you guys (we rescued a yakker the day before). We had no luck out there but found the mother load of big flatties in a similar depth about 4 miles due east of there. Cheers.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:36 am

Yep, the guy with the sail was Mingle who is also a member here. I'm no good with boat ID but we probably saw you. I paddled past one on my way out to 45m and they were pretty bemused to see a yak out that far. I got a few flatties out wide but the wind direction meant I couldn't stay for longer.

A few photos of yours truly that Mingle took that day:
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:48 am

Ripper report and some great photos, beautiful conditions to be on the water. Finished up with a few nice feeds as well, there's some nice scenery in that area too..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Persistence
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Persistence » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:27 am

Nice to know someone was fishing while I was working. Well done, good result for the day.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 pm

4liters wrote:Yep, the guy with the sail was Mingle who is also a member here. I'm no good with boat ID but we probably saw you. I paddled past one on my way out to 45m and they were pretty bemused to see a yak out that far. I got a few flatties out wide but the wind direction meant I couldn't stay for longer.

A few photos of yours truly that Mingle took that day:

Great pics there. You need to find the bit where the seabed looks like the background. :-D
Cast, catch and put it back

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Might as well add my $0.02 worth to the thread - hyere's my report for the day... :-)

-----

The weather forecast finally came good, with light winds and minimal swell predicted, so arranged to meet up with 4litres and head out from the Cape...

Any early start - I think this is the earliest I've been on the water...

But 4litres was even early than me and already had a couple of squid in the bag...

I headed out around Red Point and hugged the coast enjoying the scenery...

I dropped my SP and bait-jig overboard in about 35m off the end of the Cape and drifted around for a while.
The swell was under half a meter - offshore conditions don't get much more pleasant than that.

First fish was a thumper scorpion-cod, which I very carefully removed from the jig and dropped back overboard...

Followed quickly by another small scorpion and blue-spotted goat fish...

4litres eventually appeared out of nowhere, having bagged-out of squid, so we headed closer in under the cliffs
looking for the drop-off and trolling our way along the south of the Cape.

After no much luck on the troll, we headed out and spent a few minutes going in circles, trying to pinpoint the
offshore bommie, know as The Pinnacle. Eventually (thanks to 4litres fish-finder) we located it and dropped down
some jigs and bait.

I lost interest after I snagged and busted-off, so I headed over to Woolamai surf beach and had great fun shooting
over the first lines of waves, just before they started to crest. The waves were only about 1m high, so I wasn't in
any great danger.

I then headed along the beach, back to the end of the Cape, but couldn't find 4litres, so I cruised back towards the entrance.
Conditions were now glassed-out, with almost no wind, so I did a lot of pedalling...

As I approached the end of the Cape I came a cross a huge salmon bust-up. They weren't popping-up, then disappearing like usual,
but hanging around. I threw everything I had at them, but didn't get a touch. A couple of boats turned up and also had a go. I only
saw one fish caught (probably around 2kgs). I was interesting to watch, but very frustrating, as they just didn't seem interested
in any lures...

Shortly after I approached Red Point a SW breeze picked up and made the trip back to the beach very quick and enjoyable.

Here's the GPS track of the day...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Nice report with some great pics! :)

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:20 am

Hi mingle. We got stuck into those salmon you mentioned. At one point we were the only boat on them and then 3 others turned up. Didn't see any yakkers on them though. We were able to smash them at the start with paddle tail soft plastics in pilchard colours and sizes (about 4") with double hookups constantly and multiple strikes on every retrieve. We caught about 20 but only kept about 6 for gummy bait. They were big fatties too, up to about 55cm and solid fighters on our squid gear! (All we had ready to go when we found them). We picked up 2 yakkas in the midst of them also. We left and did some bottom bouncing but had another go on them on the way back and weren't half as successful that time with only one hookup. We tried trolling some squid heads and hard bodies around the school hoping something bigger might be lurking below but only managed to fowl the rigs with weed. It was a magic day on the water though.

skronkman

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:25 am

Just realised I used "yakkers/yakkas" twice to mean two different things. Yakkers = kayakers, yakkas = yellowtail. Just to clear up any confusion.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:48 am

Ha Ha! I get it... :-)

It was a great day to be out there. I reckon my lures were all too big - about 14-16cm...

Next time I'll make sure I have a bait-jig at hand and just chuck that into the middle of them.

Did you get the flatties under the salmon?

Cheers,

Mike.
skronkman wrote:Just realised I used "yakkers/yakkas" twice to mean two different things. Yakkers = kayakers, yakkas = yellowtail. Just to clear up any confusion.

Return to “Phillip Island”