Cape Woolamai 11/2

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Cape Woolamai 11/2

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Been a while since I caught a decent feed so I thought I'd try something new for me and head around the corner at Red Point and do some bottom bashing in the deeper water near Cape Woolamai. It was a handy coincidence that I'd just offered to buy an old overhead combo off Mike/Mingle and he was staying down there for a couple of days.

I realised halfway to San Remo that I'd left my fish bag behind and now had no way to keep the fish cool... doh :oops:

I launched just before sunrise and made my way down to the squid area for some fresh bait in the unlikely event that fish turned their noses up at my prawns.

Perfect morning for it:

The standing waves near the red marker made life interesting though, luckily there's usually a small gap between the rocky headland and the waves that the yak can sneak through:

Ended up with four small squid after a couple of drifts. That part of the GPS map on the sounder is starting to look like a kid scribbled all over it from the dozens of drifts I've done from the rocks up towards the marker.

With enough squid in the bait bucket I headed around and down until I was level with the cape, and paddled out to the 30m mark. The cliffs look stunning from the water but unfortunately my phone is a piece of **** and won't cooperate when I have wet fingers so no photos; you'll have to check it out for yourselves.

There was some swell, 1-1.5m maybe but it's hard to judge when you are sitting down. Once again the Kwells weren't up to the task and there were times when I felt pretty crook but at least I kept my breakfast down this time. Definitely getting some Travelcalm for next trip.

Baits went in and the hit started almost straight away and shortly a couple of nice size flathead were in my makeshift fish bag. There were a lot around the 30cm mark which I normally let go, plus a couple around 40cm. I pulled up a couple of gurnard (bulleye I think?) too, but very gingerly unhooked those spiky ******* without taking them out of the water because the last thing I needed was a poison spine through the leg when fishing a 2-3km paddle from the nearest safe place to land. Also got my first couta. Did one short drift, then paddled back and further out from the cape and drifted from there all the way into the channel entrance. I noticed there were masses of shearwaters flying west, I'm guessing there was a huge bust up somewhere in front of the Woolamai surf beach or further along south of the island. Be interesting to see if any reports come out from that area.

Ended up bringing home 3 squid (with one used as bait), 6 flatties and the couta; I normally like to give anything new I catch a taste test but when I cut into the couta it had those worms in it so it ended up in the bait bag for next time. The flathead were a bit mushy which was a shame, probably because I wasn't able to keep them cool but I'd say it'll be hard to tell the difference once they've been deep fried.

Ended up landing around 2pm, some flog had left their dog tied up to their ute in the carpark without any water which I wasn't thrilled at.

Met up with Mike a little while later and picked up the latest addition to my collection, a 7' Shakespeare Black Stik 6-10kg overhead rod length with a Shakespeare XK-4000 reel. Looking forward to terrorizing the Tenby Point gummy shark population with than in the coming weeks.

The new rod holders I put on the yak worked great, I think I'll bring a couple more rods with me next time to I can have some fish frames out under a balloon on a game rod while bottom bashing with the snapper rods. Still a little more tweaking to be done but it is starting to turn into a very effective fishing yak (when I stay in the damn thing). I'm still looking for a good way to store the flares and the EPIRB so that they're secure enough that they won't fall out if the yak capsizes but are easy enough to access in an emergency.

Anyway, it was a fun day on the water; perfect weather for it, got some fish, stayed in the yak and didn't puke. What more can you ask for really?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Cape Woolamai 11/2

Post by bowl » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Well dont. Pity about the camera.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Good report 4litres. Is it common for you to chuck per outing or is it only if the conditions are bad?
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:39 pm

Travelcalm the night before, then kwells an hour before launch.

Dads a pharmacist and swears by that method.

I don't get seasick myself but have taken plenty out who do, but that always works.

Anyway sounds like bit of fun, you should check out that massive reef on the south west side of Woolamai, I'm sure kingies will hang around that at times

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:56 pm

Thats my favorite spot got that big kingy just before you go round the tip of the cape there last year. Not far from where you were are the pinnacles about 850m off the cape if you want the gps marks pm me . I like the taste of couta so I always fillet them and check for worms. That standing wave near the red stick usually puts people off but once past its usually smooth nice work on the kayak my 200hp yamaha loves it lol.
You certainly like doing a few miles for a fish well done

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:09 pm

scott__henning wrote:Travelcalm the night before, then kwells an hour before launch.

Dads a pharmacist and swears by that method.

I don't get seasick myself but have taken plenty out who do, but that always works.

Anyway sounds like bit of fun, you should check out that massive reef on the south west side of Woolamai, I'm sure kingies will hang around that at times
Very interested in that travelvcalm theory...
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Great read 4 liters

Nearly as long as war and piece lol but alot more interesting

Bm

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 pm

barra mick wrote:Great read 4 liters

Bm
You have read war and peace BM? lol
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

barra mick

Post by barra mick » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:51 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:
barra mick wrote:Great read 4 liters

Bm
You have read war and peace BM? lol
no....will stick to 4lits fishing trips

Bm